Why does Hershey's milk chocolate taste like vomit?

• Thread starter Upisoft
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think it was spoiled. I was using Google to find information and there were a lot of hits for "Hershey's tastes like vomit". Lindt isn't the worlds best chocolate either, but it is the best of what you'll usually find in our stores(my opinion).

Does Hershey's milk chocolate taste like vomit to you?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No.

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
Upisoft
We've got presents from our relatives living in USA, one part of it was a bag with "Harshey's miniatures". I love chocolate and I did like Harshey's too, until... I ate one labeled "milk chocolate". That definitely was the worst chocolate experience in my life. It tasted like vomit and the vomit aftertaste persisted for a while. I thought it was spoiled, but the product was recently manufactured. Then I've searched the web and found there are many people who think like me. Also I've found that it is made from sour milk and that's the source of "vomit" like smell.

Three other types were quite OK though. The dark chocolate was delicious.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes! I can remember it tasting like that, horrendous! :yuck:

Are you sure? Interesting though. I guess it's like Limburger. You've got to get it past your nose.

Phrak said:
Are you sure? Interesting though. I guess it's like Limburger. You've got to get it past your nose.

At least you expect such smell from cheese. I definitely hate some types of cheese. I also like drinking red wine with cheese, not so with chocolate.

I don't eat ANY milk chocolate, all milk chocolate is tasteless. I only eat dark.

buttermilk chocolate? normally, i can tolerate hershey's, but i did have some just recently that i couldn't stand. can't quite put my finger on what it was about it.

also, hershey has moved a lot of it's manufacturing offshore, which can only increase the random surprise factor...

Am I the only one who thinks Hershey's milk chocolate tastes delicious? It's certainly not like vomit at all. Sure, it's not the world's best chocolate or anything like that, but among brands you're likely to find in the average convenience store or grocery store, it's one of the best.

Then again, I don't think I've had it in a while... maybe they've changed their manufacturing process in the last several months. Although, in the absence of other information, I would consider it more likely that you got one of the rare bags which had been contaminated with something, or that had randomly spoiled in a short time after manufacture.

After scrolling around the web, I see the problem is not getting it past your nose, but that a notable number of people describe a vomit aftertaste. I'm definitely on the lookout for cheap American chocolate next time I make it the market...probably sometime this year...

Evo, what about cream chocolate. Cream seems to be the ideal buffering agent for coffee, and takes very little. It seems that it should work for chocolate too.

diazona said:
Am I the only one who thinks Hershey's milk chocolate tastes delicious? It's certainly not like vomit at all. Sure, it's not the world's best chocolate or anything like that, but among brands you're likely to find in the average convenience store or grocery store, it's one of the best.

Then again, I don't think I've had it in a while... maybe they've changed their manufacturing process in the last several months. Although, in the absence of other information, I would consider it more likely that you got one of the rare bags which had been contaminated with something, or that had randomly spoiled in a short time after manufacture.

I don't think it was spoiled. I was using Google to find information and there were a lot of hits for "Hershey's tastes like vomit". Lindt isn't the worlds best chocolate either, but it is the best of what you'll usually find in our stores(my opinion). I tried to search "Lindt tastes like vomit" and what do you think I've found? Yep, top 3 links were already visited by me and they were about Hershey's. Then I repeated with "Milka", another popular chocolate brand here. Similar results, all about Hershey's. Even only catch phrase "tastes like vomit" gave me Hershey's as 4th and 5th hits.

It looks like the smell is there, but some people lack sensitivity about it.

1. What are the ingredients in Hershey's milk chocolate?

Hershey's milk chocolate contains sugar, milk, chocolate, cocoa butter, lactose, milk fat, soy lecithin, and natural flavors.

2. Is Hershey's milk chocolate gluten-free?

Yes, Hershey's milk chocolate does not contain any ingredients derived from gluten-containing grains.

3. What is the nutritional value of Hershey's milk chocolate?

One serving (1 bar) of Hershey's milk chocolate contains 220 calories, 12g of fat, 25g of carbohydrates, and 3g of protein.

4. Does Hershey's milk chocolate contain any allergens?

Hershey's milk chocolate may contain tree nuts, peanuts, and wheat due to cross-contamination during the manufacturing process. It also contains milk and soy ingredients.

5. How long does Hershey's milk chocolate last?

Hershey's milk chocolate has a shelf life of 12-18 months when stored in a cool, dry place. It can last longer if kept in the refrigerator or freezer.

Back