Understanding compund angle formulas

by zeion
Tags: angle, compund, formulas
Share this thread:
zeion
Nov9-10, 02:08 PM
P: 467
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I can make intuitive sense out of cofunction identities but the compound angle results completely blows my mind. Is there a way to make sense of them without having to think about the proof everytime? Or should I just memorize them

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Mentallic
Nov9-10, 10:27 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,515
In the case of the formulae such as [tex]sin(A+B)=sinAcosB+cosAsinB[/tex] it is much easier and definitely quicker to memorize than to reproduce in an exam. But I prefer to reproduce the cofunction identities than to memorize them because they are easy to do so, which you might as well.

I think it's just best to memorize these formulae.
symbolipoint
Nov9-10, 10:36 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,797
I've been struggling with this on occasion too. Memorizing all of the identity formulas is too tough. There is a website, 'oakroadsystems' or something which gives advice on the Trigonometry identities. One idea that I had was to memorize (and also understand) a small number of very fundamental and easy ones, and learn to derive others from them. For the sum and difference of angles identities, just learn to derive a couple of them, and learn to derive many of the others using some algebraic steps. Use a graph picture to get started.

zeion
Nov10-10, 08:20 AM
P: 467
Understanding compund angle formulas

The proof for the addition/subtraction formula from my textbook seems completely arbitrary to me ~_~. I have found other proofs online that involve Euler's formula which I have not learned yet, as well as one that involves drawing two right angled triangles on top of each other. Which of the addition/subtraction formula proofs makes the most sense to you guys?
symbolipoint
Nov10-10, 12:28 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,797
Quote Quote by zeion View Post
The proof for the addition/subtraction formula from my textbook seems completely arbitrary to me ~_~. I have found other proofs online that involve Euler's formula which I have not learned yet, as well as one that involves drawing two right angled triangles on top of each other. Which of the addition/subtraction formula proofs makes the most sense to you guys?
At least you have access to a picture. Do you find a derivation of one of the angle addition or angle subtraction formulas which is based on a cartesian graph, and not just overlayed triangles? (I really should be looking for one such derivation in a textbook or online --- maybe later or someone else)

Register to reply