Register to reply

Young's modulus problem - need a hint

by redshift
Tags: hint, modulus, young
Share this thread:
redshift
Sep25-04, 12:14 PM
P: 53
There are two wires, one brass the other copper, both 50 cm long and 1.0 mm diameter. They are somehow connected to form a 1m length. A force is applied to both ends, resulting in a total length change of 0.5 mm. Given the respective young's moduluses of 1.3 x 10^11 and 1.0 x 10^11, I'm supposed to find the amount of length change in each section.

Apparently a variation of Hooke's law should be used here, such as F/A=Y(change in length/original length)

I'm stuck on how can I solve this with 2 unknowns (force and change in length)?
Regards
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Clausius2
Sep25-04, 12:54 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,479
Quote Quote by redshift
There are two wires, one brass the other copper, both 50 cm long and 1.0 mm diameter. They are somehow connected to form a 1m length. A force is applied to both ends, resulting in a total length change of 0.5 mm. Given the respective young's moduluses of 1.3 x 10^11 and 1.0 x 10^11, I'm supposed to find the amount of length change in each section.

Apparently a variation of Hooke's law should be used here, such as F/A=Y(change in length/original length)

I'm stuck on how can I solve this with 2 unknowns (force and change in length)?
Regards
Hello redshift! I'm going to rewritte your problem in terms of stress [tex]\sigma[/tex] (Pa) and unitary deformation [tex]\epsilon=\frac{L-L_o}{L_o}[/tex] where Lo is the original lenght. So that, the stress exerted is the same in each section of the wire:

Hooke's law: [tex] \sigma=E_t \epsilon_t=E_1 \epsilon_1=E_2 \epsilon_2[/tex] where "Et" (N/m^2) is the apparent Young modulus of the complete wire.

Compatibility of deformations: [tex]\bigtriangleup L=\bigtriangleup L_1 + \bigtriangleup L_2[/tex]

Then, you have three equations for three unknowns: Et, epsilon1 and epsilon2.

Hope this help you a bit.

You've got two unknowns for
redshift
Sep26-04, 12:33 AM
P: 53
I think I get it. Based on your equations, the ratio of the young's moduluses should equal the ratio of the individual increases, that is, 13/10 = L1/L2
Therefore, 10L1 = 13L2
Since, L1 = L2 = 0.5, then L1 = 0.5 - L2. Plugging this into the above gives 10(0.5 - L2) = 13L2, so that the increase of L2 (brass wire) is 0.21 mm.

Many thanks!

Register to reply