Multi-stage compression with intercooling

• Thread starter exergetic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of intercooling in compressors and the calculation of intermediate pressures to minimize specific work. It is suggested that a T-S diagram can be used to visualize the process and that the minimum specific work is achieved when all pressure ratios are equal. The formula for finding the pressure ratios is also provided.
exergetic
Hi everybody!:smile:
I have a question about intercooling process in compressors
Regarding ,for example, a mutli-stage compressor with 3 intercoolers,I'm a little bit confused about finding the intermediate pressures of each intercooler that minimize specific work.I'm able to find the intermediate pressure only if there'ls only one intercooler,using well known statement:
eq5.gif

where Px is the intermediate pressure at which intercooling process happens, P1 and P2 the inlet and the oulet pressure in the compressor.

Could anyone help me?
http://air-compressors-info.blogspot.com/2007/12/multi-stage-compression-with.html"

Thanks in advance.
(sorry for my rough english)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with thermodynamic processes, and how they are mapped on a thermodynamic properties chart (such as a T-S or P-V diagram)? A multi-staged compression cycle with intercooling would be pretty easy to visualize on a T-S diagram...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_entropy_diagram"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,I have some familiarity with thermodynamics.But I know how to represent this process on T-s chart.Instead I would understand,in case of more than 1 intercooling process, how to calculate pressure values at which intercoolers must work for minimizing specific work.Could be correct to state that the minimum specific work is obtained when all pressure ratios equate each other?In other words when:
[tex]\frac{Pinlet}{Pi1}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{Pi2}{Pi1}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{Pi3}{Pi2}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{Poutlet}{Pi3}[/tex]

Yes, all pressure ratios from each compressor must be the same and it is found this way:

[tex]P_{r}=\sqrt[n]{\frac{P_{out}}{P_{in}}}[/tex]

Where [tex]n[/tex] is the number of compressors.

So with 3 intercoolers, [tex]n = 4[/tex].

Ok,thanks a lot for your help.I appreciated it.
:smile:

1. What is multi-stage compression with intercooling?

Multi-stage compression with intercooling is a process used in gas compression systems where the gas is compressed in multiple stages with an intercooler in between each stage. The intercooler is used to cool the gas between stages, which helps to reduce the temperature and increase the efficiency of the compression process.

2. Why is intercooling important in multi-stage compression?

Intercooling is important in multi-stage compression because it helps to reduce the temperature of the gas between stages. This reduces the work required for each stage of compression and improves the overall efficiency of the system. It also helps to prevent overheating and potential damage to the compressor.

3. How does multi-stage compression with intercooling differ from single-stage compression?

Multi-stage compression with intercooling differs from single-stage compression in that it compresses the gas in multiple stages with an intercooler in between. This allows for a higher overall compression ratio and improved efficiency. In single-stage compression, the gas is compressed in one stage without any cooling in between.

4. What are the benefits of using multi-stage compression with intercooling?

There are several benefits of using multi-stage compression with intercooling, including improved compressor efficiency, reduced energy consumption, and increased reliability. It also allows for a higher compression ratio, which is necessary for compressing gases with high discharge pressures.

5. What types of gases are typically compressed using multi-stage compression with intercooling?

Multi-stage compression with intercooling is commonly used for gases such as natural gas, carbon dioxide, and air. These gases often require high discharge pressures and can benefit from the increased efficiency and reliability of multi-stage compression with intercooling.