by merry
Tags: circle, graph, polar coordinates, r=cos
Share this thread:
merry
Nov13-10, 05:46 PM
P: 45
Hullo everyone!

Hows it going?
I am confused with how to interpret the graph of r = cos(theta) in polar coordinates.
I tried graphing it manually. and this is how I interpreted it:

r(0) = cos(0) = 1
r(pi/2) = 0
r(-pi) = -1
r(3pi/2) = 0
r(2pi) = 1

This gives me three points in a line @.@ with one on the negative x axis, one on the origin, and one on the positive x axis. But apparently, its supposed to be a circle; how so?
Could someone please explain where I am going wrong?
Thanks v. much!
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
tiny-tim
Nov14-10, 08:11 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
hullo merry!

it's going fine, thanks for asking!

yes, it is a circle, with diameter from (0,0) to (0,1)

a little bit of geometry will enable you to confirm that

your mistake was that you can't have negative values of r!!
HallsofIvy
Nov14-10, 11:37 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
If you multiply both sides of [itex]r= cos(\theta)[/itex] by r you get
[itex]r^2= rcos(\theta)[/itex] which is the same as [itex]x^2+ y^2= x[/itex] or
[tex]x^2- x+ 1/4+ y^2= 1/4[/tex]
[tex](x- 1/2)^2+ y^2= 1/4[/tex]
a circle with center at (1/2, 0) and radius 1/2 so it is tangent to the y-axis.

While you can have r negative in the equation, that is interpreted in polar coordinates as the radius going the other way. With [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex], [itex]r= -1[/itex] which gives the point (1, 0) on the positive x-axis. Note that [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] goes from 0 to 0 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and again as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

As [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], the point goes around the circle twice.

tiny-tim
Nov14-10, 11:46 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
R = cos(theta) in polar coordinates?

HallsofIvy likes coordinate equations, and I like geometry!
arildno
Nov15-10, 03:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
While you can have r negative in the equation, that is interpreted in polar coordinates as the radius going the other way. With [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex], [itex]r= -1[/itex] which gives the point (1, 0) on the positive x-axis. Note that [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] goes from 0 to 0 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and again as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

As [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], the point goes around the circle twice.
I totally disagree.

"r", in this case is measured from the origin, theta the angle the radial vector makes with the positiv x-axis.

Thus, we have the bounds:
[tex]0\leq{r}\leq{1},-\frac{\pi}{2}\leq\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

If we instead have the equation,
[tex]r=|\cos\theta|, 0\leq\theta\leq{2\pi}[/tex]
then this is a double circle, joining at the origin.
merry
Nov30-10, 06:20 PM
P: 45
Thanks guys! It makes more sense now =D
Sorry for not replying! I didnt think my question would get noticed, so I gave up!

I dont quite understand what this means tho:

Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Note that [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] goes from 0 to 0 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and again as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

HallsofIvy, doesnt [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] go from 1 to -1 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]?

I am confused with arildno's statement as well @.@
tiny-tim
Dec1-10, 04:15 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
hi merry!

(just got up )
Quote Quote by merry View Post
HallsofIvy, doesnt [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] go from 1 to -1 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]?
(have a theta: θ and a pi: π )

not quite θ goes from -π/2 to π/2 as r goes from 0 to 1 and back to 0 (as arildno said);

between π/2 and -π/2, r doesn't exist (because r can't be negative)
I am confused with arildno's statement as well @.@
arildno is saying that r = cosθ is one circle

but r = |cosθ| is two circles, touching at the origin
HallsofIvy
Dec1-10, 05:51 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
Notice the absolute value in arildno's "[itex]r= |cos\theta|[/itex]". If [math]-\pi/2\le \theta\le \pi/2[/math] then [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] is positive so [itex]r= cos(\theta)[/itex]. That is the circle with center at (1, 0) and radius 1. If [itex]\pi/2\le \theta\le 3\pi/2[/itex] then [itex]|cos(\theta)|[/itex] is still positive so we have the circle with center at (-1, 0) and radius 1. The area tangent at (0, 0).

I said earlier that r< 0 is interpreted as 'the opposite direction'. Arildno disagrees with that but I consider it a matter of one convention rather than another.

Register to reply