Finding intercepts of a cubic function

In summary, The speaker, a new member of a forum, is a current Calculus student who will be taking Physics next semester. They have a question about finding intercepts of the function -2x^(3) + 6x^(2) - 3 and have tried various methods, but have been unsuccessful. Other forum members suggest using the Rational Roots Theorem or using numerical calculations like Newton's methods.
Arya1127
Hey guys, new member here. I've decided to join this forum since I am a current Calculus student, and will be taking Physics next semester. Anyways, I do have a question about one of my homework problems.

Homework Statement

Consider the function: f(x) = -2x^(3) + 6x^(2) - 3. Find its intercepts (there is more to this problem, but this is all I'm concerned about)

Homework Equations

I understand finding x intercepts requires setting the equation equal to 0, but that doesn't help me in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried different things, from factoring to polynomial division, but I can't find the answer. Anyways, the answers are (-0.64, 0), (0.83, 0), and (2.81, 0). I just need help on how to find these intercepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try Rational Roots Theorem? Your first listed expected answer at least appears that it would be found that way. You would then try to perform division of the function by the binomial obtained from use of Rational Roots Theorem, and you should have hopefully an easier quotient function to handle. You can always cheat and use a graphing calculator.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a polynomial function of degree 3, which means it has an equation of the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d. It is called a cubic function because the highest power of x in the equation is 3.

How do I find the x-intercepts of a cubic function?

To find the x-intercepts, also known as zeros or roots, of a cubic function, you can use the rational root theorem or synthetic division. The rational root theorem states that if p/q is a rational root of a polynomial function, then p must be a factor of the constant term and q must be a factor of the leading coefficient. Synthetic division is a shortcut method for dividing polynomials and can also be used to find the zeros of a polynomial function.

How do I find the y-intercept of a cubic function?

To find the y-intercept of a cubic function, you can substitute 0 for x in the equation and solve for y. The resulting value of y is the y-intercept.

Can a cubic function have more than 3 intercepts?

Yes, a cubic function can have more than 3 intercepts. In fact, it can have up to 3 distinct real roots and infinite complex roots.

How do I graph a cubic function?

To graph a cubic function, you can use the intercepts and other key points such as the vertex and points of inflection. You can also use transformations such as translations, reflections, and dilations to graph a cubic function. Additionally, using a graphing calculator or software can also help you visualize the graph of a cubic function.