Register to reply

Finding intercepts of a cubic function

by Arya1127
Tags: cubic, function, intercepts
Share this thread:
Arya1127
Nov14-10, 05:59 PM
P: 1
Hey guys, new member here. I've decided to join this forum since I am a current Calculus student, and will be taking Physics next semester. Anyways, I do have a question about one of my homework problems.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the function: f(x) = -2x^(3) + 6x^(2) - 3. Find its intercepts (there is more to this problem, but this is all I'm concerned about)

2. Relevant equations

I understand finding x intercepts requires setting the equation equal to 0, but that doesn't help me in this case.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried different things, from factoring to polynomial division, but I can't find the answer. Anyways, the answers are (-0.64, 0), (0.83, 0), and (2.81, 0). I just need help on how to find these intercepts.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
symbolipoint
Nov14-10, 08:41 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,813
Did you try Rational Roots Theorem? Your first listed expected answer at least appears that it would be found that way. You would then try to perform division of the function by the binomial obtained from use of Rational Roots Theorem, and you should have hopefully an easier quotient function to handle. You can always cheat and use a graphing calculator.
HallsofIvy
Nov15-10, 07:38 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,490
No, that has three real roots but none of them are rational. You will have to either use the Cardano's cubic formula, http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/cubic/, or do a numerical calculation such as Newton's methods, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method

Register to reply