Advanced Problem in Electrostatics

by zorro
Tags: advanced, electrostatics
Share this thread:
zorro
Nov16-10, 09:52 AM
P: 1,394
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A ball of mass m with a charge q can rotate in a vertical plane at the end of a string of length l in a uniform electrostatic field whose lines of force are directed upwards. What horizontal velocity must be imparted to the ball in the upper position so that the tension in the string in the lower position of the ball is 15 times the weight of the ball.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't get what is the meaning of the question. How can a sphere rotate on a string as its tangent? Why will tension in the string change if ball is given a velocity? When it is imparted with a velocity, does the ball rotate purely or translates too?

Don't explain how to solve, I just need help in understanding the question.
Perhaps a figure might help.
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Pagan Harpoon
Nov16-10, 10:33 AM
P: 85
It's hard to know what the question is asking, I think. Was a diagram included?

Perhaps the ball is on the end of the string with the string's other end fixed in space. Then the ball would be confined to a disk around that point. Also, by "rotation," could it mean that the ball is moving in a circle around that point rather than rotating on its own axis?

If that is the case then it would make sense that the tension on the string depends on the ball's velocity because of centrifugal force.
betel
Nov16-10, 11:51 AM
P: 319
Imagine you have one end of the string in your hand, at the other end is the charged sphere. Now you can slowly start swinging the sphere like a pendulum. If you go faster and faster, at some point the sphere will no longer swing back, but complete the circle. It will rotate in a vertical plane.
Now you just have to equate gravitational, electric and centrifugal force to find the answer.

Btw. crazy teacher who defined this problem to be electrostatics. There is not much static going on.

zorro
Nov16-10, 12:07 PM
P: 1,394
Advanced Problem in Electrostatics

Quote Quote by betel View Post
Imagine you have one end of the string in your hand, at the other end is the charged sphere. Now you can slowly start swinging the sphere like a pendulum. If you go faster and faster, at some point the sphere will no longer swing back, but complete the circle. It will rotate in a vertical plane.
Now you just have to equate gravitational, electric and centrifugal force to find the answer.
Oh! I got it.
I thought the sphere rotates about its own axis on the string.
Thanks

Register to reply