Register to reply

What is it with guys my age?

by raw
Tags: guys
Share this thread:
raw
Nov19-10, 10:14 PM
P: 34
I almost NEVER get approached by guys my age even though I'm a female in physics (there are 2 other girls max in all my other physics classes). However, I live off campus and almost every time I make a trip outside I get hit on by these creepy older guys. I've tried talking to guys my age and dropping subtle hints that I'm interested but it never seems to work. I'm so tired of this. Are the standards of older guys too low?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Evo
Nov19-10, 10:21 PM
Mentor
P: 26,460
Quote Quote by raw View Post
I almost NEVER get approached by guys my age even though I'm a female in physics (there are 2 other girls max in all my other physics classes). However, I live off campus and almost every time I make a trip outside I get hit on by these creepy older guys. I've tried talking to guys my age and dropping subtle hints that I'm interested but it never seems to work. I'm so tired of this. Are the standards of older guys too low?
What age is creepy? What is the age difference? Are you 18 and they're 65?
raw
Nov19-10, 10:22 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
What age is creepy? What is the age difference? Are you 18 and they're 65?
I'm 20 and one of the guys that hit on me was 80. I consider creepy over 40.

Evo
Nov19-10, 10:30 PM
Mentor
What is it with guys my age?

For a 20 year old girl, I'd agree. Where are you meeting these older men?
raw
Nov19-10, 10:36 PM
For a 20 year old girl, I'd agree. Where are you meeting these older men?
Just walking to the bus stop or getting a bagel at dunkin donuts.
D H
Nov19-10, 10:45 PM
Mentor
P: 15,065
I sense a bit of hyperbole here. Either that, or a gross failure of a 20 year old to estimate age. (Don't join the carnival!)

A good time to an eighty year old is watching Jeopardy with some sweet young thing of 50 or 60 and staying up late with her, maybe until 8:00 PM.
Evo
Nov19-10, 10:45 PM
Mentor
How do you dress? The sexier a woman dresses, the more creeps hit on you. That doesn't mean dressing inappropriately, just what most girls your age would wear. My daughter will wear a shirt under her shirt if it would show cleavage and wear something loose over something fitting. If you're getting unwanted attention, sometimes you need to dress a bit frumpy unless you're ready to "attract".
JaredJames
Nov19-10, 10:49 PM
P: 3,387
Krispey Kreme, far superior donut. Perhaps change shops? There's always 16 - 19 year olds hanging around the one where I live.

What sort of person are you trying to find? Are you approaching some real nerdy guys who wouldn't catch on you're interested if you walked up to them nude?
raw
Nov19-10, 10:54 PM
How do you dress? The sexier a woman dresses, the more creeps hit on you. That doesn't mean dressing inappropriately, just what most girls your age would wear. My daughter will wear a shirt under her shirt if it would show cleavage and wear something loose over something fitting. If you're getting unwanted attention, sometimes you need to dress a bit frumpy unless you're ready to "attract".
Some times I wear tights, heels and a sweater dress but usually I'm dressed down. Even when I'm wearing yoga pants and sweats older guys will hit on me. My house mate has the same problem. Even when she is wearing regular clothing guys will hit on her. We live in a ghost town where many of the residents are unemployed. I guess the older unemployed guys get a kick out of hitting on women and have very low standards considering the women around them are usually 50+ pounds overweight. I'm 5'8" with dark blonde hair so maybe I stand out in that respect.
Evo
Nov19-10, 10:57 PM
Mentor
It could be the "what have I got to lose, and maybe I'll get lucky" thing.
CRGreathouse
Nov19-10, 10:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,684
I've tried talking to guys my age and dropping subtle hints that I'm interested but it never seems to work.
You're almost surely being too subtle. You overestimate the cunning of the male of this species.
raw
Nov19-10, 10:58 PM
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
Krispey Kreme, far superior donut. Perhaps change shops? There's always 16 - 19 year olds hanging around the one where I live.

What sort of person are you trying to find? Are you approaching some real nerdy guys who wouldn't catch on you're interested if you walked up to them nude?
I don't really have a type. I'm really bad at reading guys but I try to approach different kinds. Maybe I'm coming off as desperate?
raw
Nov19-10, 10:59 PM
It could be the "what have I got to lose, and maybe I'll get lucky" thing.
That's definitely is the thing. Like how could an 80 year old think I would be interested in him. Like he's spent 80 years on this earth yet thinks a 20 year old girl would want to go out with him.
raw
Nov19-10, 11:01 PM
Quote Quote by CRGreathouse View Post
You're almost surely being too subtle. You overestimate the cunning of the male of this species.
So what should I do? Last year this guy who is math major kissed me when he was drunk at a party. The next time I saw him I dressed up (heels and all) and he told my friend that he didn't want to be in a relationship right now. I'm just afraid of coming off as desperate and being rejected. I don't know how to balance not being to subtle with not coming off as desperate.
Pengwuino
Nov19-10, 11:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
.... a physics girl not being hit on by the guys in your department? Where do you live? Backwardsville?

The most likely possibility is that there is a nasty rumor going around that you murdered your last bf because he didn't obey your every command and everyone knows it
JaredJames
Nov19-10, 11:03 PM
P: 3,387
I don't really have a type. I'm really bad at reading guys but I try to approach different kinds. Maybe I'm coming off as desperate?
Maybe, but some people couldn't take a hint if you slapped them in the face with a big sign spelling it out.
raw
Nov19-10, 11:04 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
.... a physics girl not being hit on by the guys in your department? Where do you live? Backwardsville?

The most likely possibility is that there is a nasty rumor going around that you murdered your last bf because he didn't obey your every command and everyone knows it
Lol, I doubt it. But really I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm not a troll I swear.
Evo
Nov19-10, 11:05 PM
Mentor
Ok, prepare to get fixed.

Men don't get subtle, it confuses them.

How do you approach a guy you want to go out with? What do you do and say?

Oh YAY, the test Pengwuin is here!

Register to reply