Closed continuous surjective map and Hausdorff space

Share this thread:
radou
Nov22-10, 02:13 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,224
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here's a nice one. I hope it's correct.

Let p : X --> Y be a closed, continuous and surjective map such that p^-1({y}) is compact for every y in Y. If X is Hausdorff, so is Y.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let y1 and y2 in Y. p^-1({y1}) are then p^-1({y2}) disjoint and compact subsets of X. Since X is Hausdorff, for p^-1({y1}) and for any x in p^-1({y2}) there exist disjoint open sets U and V containing p^-1({y1}) and x, respectively. Now find such pair of open sets for p^-1({y1}) and for any x in p^-1({y2}). These sets form open covers for p^-1({y1}) and for p^-1({y2}) respectively, so they have finite subcovers. Take the intersection of all sets from the finite subcover for p^-1({y1}), let's call it U1. Take the union of all sets from the finite subcover for p^-1({y2}), call it U2. U1 and U2 are disjoint.

Now, since U1 and U2 are open sets containing p^-1({y1}) and p^-1({y2}) respectively, there exist neighborhoods W1 of y1 and W2 of y2 such that p^-1(W1) is contained in U1 and p^-1(W2) is contained in U2.

I claim that W1 and W2 are disjoint.

Suppose they were not - let y be an element in their intersection. Then p^-1({y}) is contained both in U1 and U2, contradicting the fact that U1 and U2 are disjoint.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
micromass
Nov22-10, 02:16 PM
Mentor
P: 18,086
Your proof is perfect!
radou
Nov22-10, 02:37 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,224
Excellent! This tradition mustn't go on, since I'll start to think I'm good :D

Btw, the "hint" is extremely useful. I don't see another way we could "generate" an open set with certain required properties in the codomain.

Register to reply