Energy released in a gunshot explosion

In summary, when a gun is fired, the trigger releases a firing pin which hits the primer on the bullet, igniting the gunpowder charge. This causes a rapid expansion in combustion products, propelling the bullet out of the gun. The gunpowder stores chemical potential energy which is converted to kinetic energy upon burning. The primer is a small explosive charge that is ignited by the firing pin. Gunpowder is a self-oxidizing flammable material that burns quickly when ignited. To find this information, one can read about guns and gunpowder on Wikipedia.
hasan_researc
Hey,

I have a quick question about the energy released when a gun is fired. When a gun is fired, energy is released in the explosion and is transferred to the gun, bullet and is also used to heat up the surroundings.

My question is: how/why is energy released in the explosion? What is the source of that energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy comes from the gunpowder stored in the cratridge. When the trigger is pulled, the gunpowder is ignited with a primer, burning the gunpowder and causing a rapid expansion in combustion products which propel the bullet out the muzzle of the gun.

Thanks for the answer!

Just so I am clear, what is a primer?

"When the trigger is pulled, the gunpowder is ignited with a primer,":

Why is the gunpowder ignited when the trigger is pulled?

"burning the gunpowder and causing a rapid expansion in combustion products":

Why is there a rapid expansion when the gunpowder burns?

I am wondering if you answered on the top of your head or whether you reaserached and found the answer. If so, how did you actually find it? ::confused::

Thanks again for your help!

hasan_researc said:
Thanks for the answer!

Just so I am clear, what is a primer?

"When the trigger is pulled, the gunpowder is ignited with a primer,":

The primer is a very small explosive charge at the back of the bullet. It is ignited when a firing pin hits it.

220px-Bulletfixed1.PNG

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet

hasan_researc said:
Why is the gunpowder ignited when the trigger is pulled?

The trigger releases a firing pin which hits the primer on the bullet, igniting the gunpowder charge.

hasan_researc said:
"burning the gunpowder and causing a rapid expansion in combustion products":

Why is there a rapid expansion when the gunpowder burns?

Because that's how gunpowder works! Gunpowder is a self-oxidizing flammable material that burns very quickly when ignited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokeless_powder

hasan_researc said:
I am wondering if you answered on the top of your head or whether you reaserached and found the answer. If so, how did you actually find it? ::confused::

Thanks again for your help!

I'm a gun enthusiast so I know how guns work, but all it takes to find how they work is to read about them on wikipedia.

Another way of putting it;
the energy is stored as chemical potential energy in the gunpowder, then converted to kinetic energy as the gunpowder burns.

1. What is the source of energy released in a gunshot explosion?

The energy released in a gunshot explosion comes from the chemical energy stored in the gunpowder and the potential energy of the compressed gas within the gun.

2. How is the energy released in a gunshot explosion measured?

The energy released in a gunshot explosion is typically measured in joules, which is a unit of energy. It can also be measured in foot-pounds (ft-lbs) or kilocalories (kcal).

3. How much energy is released in a gunshot explosion?

The amount of energy released in a gunshot explosion can vary depending on the type of gun, caliber, and ammunition used. On average, a gunshot explosion can release anywhere from 500 to 2000 joules of energy.

4. What factors can affect the energy released in a gunshot explosion?

The amount of energy released in a gunshot explosion can be affected by several factors, such as the type and amount of gunpowder, the type and size of the bullet, the type of gun, and the distance between the gun and the target.

5. Is all of the energy released in a gunshot explosion used to propel the bullet?

No, not all of the energy released in a gunshot explosion is used to propel the bullet. Some of the energy is lost to heat, sound, and recoil. The amount of energy used to propel the bullet can vary depending on the efficiency of the gun and ammunition.