Register to reply

Coefficient of sliding friction and distance travelled

Share this thread:
Bugsy23
Dec2-10, 07:59 AM
P: 25
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A flat round disc of mass 0.6kg is pushed across an icy surface. It has an initial velocity of 3.5ms^-1 and the coefficient of sliding friction is 0.02. Calculate the distance travelled before the disc eventually comes to a rest.

2. Relevant equations

The only one I can think of is distance=speed*time, but I haven't been given any values for time so I can't use that one

3. The attempt at a solution

The acceleration must be negative if the disc is slowing down. I would guess that the acceleration would just be velocity-coefficient of sliding friction, so subtracting 0.02 from the velocity each second until it reaches zero and from there working out the distance travelled. Would that make sense or is there another way to do it?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
CxStrike
Dec2-10, 10:07 AM
P: 7
Determine what force is causing the deceleration. Once you know that, you can find a, then use the kinematics equations to find d.

d=rt is only true with no acceleration.

Register to reply