Free energy and irreversible processes

In summary, the conversation is about the thermal stability of a protein and the calculation of Gibbs free energy difference between the native and unfolded state. It is discussed that this can be done through the classical equilibrium constant, but the speaker's system unfolds irreversibly. They ask if Gibbs free energy is defined for an irreversible process and if it can be calculated without an equilibrium constant. The speaker also mentions looking at kinetics and obtaining an Arrhenius activation energy. The response suggests using the equation delta G = (delta H) - delta(TS) to calculate delta G, where Cp is specific heat capacity and T is temperature.
arwelbath
Hi,
I'm working on a problem of the thermal stability of a protein. Conventionlly, people compare protein thermal stability in terms of the Gibbs free energy difference between the native and unfolded state. So if it reversibly falls apart, then for N <==> U, DG(N-U) is accessed from the classical equilibrium constant for the process. (DG = -RT ln K)

But, unfortunately my system unfolds irreversibly so that N --> U.

Is the gibbs free energy defined for an irreversible process? If so, how can it be calculated without an equilibrium constant? If it's not defined, is there an equilvalent quantity which can be used?

The best I can do so far is to look at the kinetics, which I've done and got an Arrhenius activation energy. Can I get any more information from this?

Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure you can find delta G by using the equation
delta G = (delta H) - delta(TS) --> delta G = (Cp * delta T) - (TfSf - TiSi)

Hope this helps

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. The concept of free energy and irreversible processes is a fundamental topic in thermodynamics, and it can be a bit tricky to understand. In your case, it is important to keep in mind that the Gibbs free energy is defined for a system at equilibrium, where all processes are reversible. In irreversible processes, the system is not at equilibrium, and the concept of free energy becomes less relevant.

In thermodynamics, we use the concept of free energy to determine the direction of a spontaneous process. A process is spontaneous if it leads to a decrease in free energy of the system. In reversible processes, we can calculate the change in free energy using the equilibrium constant, as you have mentioned. However, in irreversible processes, the concept of equilibrium constant does not apply, and the change in free energy cannot be calculated in the same way.

So, to answer your question, the Gibbs free energy is not defined for irreversible processes. However, there are other quantities that can be used to describe the thermodynamic behavior of a system, such as the enthalpy, entropy, and activation energy. In your case, the Arrhenius activation energy that you have calculated can provide valuable information about the kinetics of the unfolding process.

I would suggest consulting with a thermodynamics expert or your instructor to see if there are any other approaches you can take to analyze the thermal stability of your protein. They may be able to provide you with more specific guidance and techniques to address your problem. I wish you the best of luck in your research.

1. What is free energy?

Free energy is a thermodynamic concept that refers to the amount of energy that is available to do work. It is often denoted by the symbol "G" and is a combination of the system's internal energy and its entropy.

2. Can free energy be created or destroyed?

No, according to the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed. Free energy is simply the energy that is available to do work within a system.

3. What are irreversible processes?

Irreversible processes are those that cannot return a system to its initial state. This means that once a system undergoes an irreversible process, it cannot spontaneously return to its original state without an external intervention.

4. How do irreversible processes affect free energy?

Irreversible processes generally increase the overall free energy of a system. This is because they often involve energy loss in the form of heat or work, which reduces the amount of free energy available to do work.

5. Can free energy be used to predict the direction of a process?

Yes, the change in free energy (ΔG) can be used to predict the direction of a process. If ΔG is negative, the process is spontaneous and will proceed in the forward direction. If ΔG is positive, the process is non-spontaneous and will not occur without an external input of energy. If ΔG is zero, the system is in equilibrium and no change will occur.