The natural frequency of a mass-spring system.

In summary, the natural frequency of a mass-spring system can be found by using the equation f = 1/2π √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass. To find the spring constant, a free body diagram can be used to set up the equation Mg = kx, where M is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and x is the elongation of the spring. Solving for k and substituting it into the equation for frequency yields f = 1/2π √(g/x), which can be simplified to f = (1/2π) √(g/x). Plugging in the given values yields a frequency of 5
Blackplague

Homework Statement

A certain spring elongates 9mm when it is suspended vertically and a block of mass M is hung on it. The natural frequency of this mass-spring system is:
a)0.014 b) 5.3Hz c) 31.8Hz d) 181.7 e) need to know M

x=9mm
mass=M

Homework Equations

I don't know any relevant equations for this. It only gives me "x" as an actually constant and not a variable like the mass has.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram of the hanging mass when it is at equilibrium and use it to get the spring constant. Once you have the spring constant, you can find the natural frequency.

I only get Mg as the force exerting downward. so i get:
F=kx then Mg=kx. I realize that I get .009m as the x value. but what do I do from here:
Mg=k(.009m)

So what is k in terms of the other quantities?

Well since the x is .009m then i would have to say the spring constant will have to be in N/m units. right?

Blackplague said:
Well since the x is .009m then i would have to say the spring constant will have to be in N/m units. right?

Actually it would have to be k=(mg)/x

And how is the natural frequency f related to all this?

Well:
frequency=[ (1/2pi)sqrt(k/m) ]

So: k=M(2pifrequency)^2 right?

Blackplague said:
Actually it would have to be k=(mg)/x
So if you put in this expression for k in your expression for f, what do you get?

Then I get:
f= 1/(2pi) multiplied by squrt[(Mg/x)/(M)]
and if i simplify that i get:
f= 1/(2pi) multiplied by squrt [Mg/Mx]
then i get:
f= 1/(2pi) multiplied by squrt [g/x]

So i put in constants and get:
f= 1/(2pi) multiplied by squrt [9.8/.009m]
f=5.25
OH MY! The Answer is b thank you so much! I have been stuck on this problem for 2 hours. THANK YOU!

Last edited:

1. What is the natural frequency of a mass-spring system?

The natural frequency of a mass-spring system is the frequency at which the system will oscillate without any external forces acting upon it. It is determined by the stiffness of the spring and the mass of the object attached to it.

2. How is the natural frequency of a mass-spring system calculated?

The natural frequency can be calculated using the equation: fn = 1/(2π) * √(k/m), where fn is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What factors affect the natural frequency of a mass-spring system?

The natural frequency is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the object attached to it, and the length of the spring. Additionally, any external forces acting on the system can also affect the natural frequency.

4. How does changing the mass or stiffness of a mass-spring system affect its natural frequency?

If the mass of the object attached to the spring is increased, the natural frequency will decrease. Similarly, if the stiffness of the spring is increased, the natural frequency will increase.

5. What are the applications of understanding the natural frequency of a mass-spring system?

Understanding the natural frequency is important in the design of many mechanical and structural systems. It can also be used in areas such as earthquake engineering, where predicting the natural frequency of buildings and structures can help prevent damage during seismic activity.