I want to be an aerospace engineer

In summary: For example, you could work on developing new materials or improving current ones. You could work on developing new control systems, or on improving aircraft performance. Basically, there are a lot of options for what you could do after getting your degree.In summary, if you want to become an aerospace engineer, you should study what you don't like. Studying what you like is better than renting a room.
Aki
I want to become an aerospace engineer, and at the local universities, they offer mechanical, electrical, physics, and systems, but not aerospace.. I'd like to know what I could be taking that would be as close to aerospace engineering. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ME's the closest thing... But, if you want Aerospace - GO DO Aerospace ! Studying what you don't like is worse than renting a room... :wink:

I'll agree with drag.

If you want to do aerospace, go for it! You won't be able to beat the balanced set of classes an AE degree will get you... you'll have seen a little of everything an aerospace engineer could possibly see.

You can get some courses with an ME. Take a lot of fluid dynamics and vibrations courses. You'll also want to take a propulsions course, and possibly a MEMS course if it's offered.

Do you live anywhere near Ottawa?

I can't speak for the quality of the school, but it looks like http://www.mae.carleton.ca/ it looks like a decent courseload. I'm impressed that they teach linear algebra in the first year, and the statistics course is one which I think that my undergraduate program should have had.

Last edited by a moderator:
enigma said:
I can't speak for the quality of the school, but it looks like Carleton University has an aerospace department. Looking over their http://www.mae.carleton.ca/maehtmls/aerospace.html it looks like a decent courseload. I'm impressed that they teach linear algebra in the first year, and the statistics course is one which I think that my undergraduate program should have had.
Hmm... I'm not sure it's such a good choice, but I never really
compared course lists until now. Of course it differs from country
to country as well and price is probably an issue as well.
(linear algebra ? had it in first semester)

Yes, act as Drag and Enigma said to you, and do not become a failed man like me. I'm always posting in this forum and my studies has to do with aerospace a 30%. I always wanted to be an aeronautical engineer, but my father convinced me there were no jobs for them in that times (my studies have to do more with Mechanics and Thermal Engineering oriented to energy generation). I'm not too far of aeronautical subjects but in future I will have to redirect my career for not have done what I wanted to do. Do not have the same mistake than me, and do what you really want in spite of university distances, jobs offers and these sorts of stupid things.

I live in Vancouver, and I know they offer AE in Toronto, and I prefer going to UToronto over Carlton. I'm not sure if I want to be away from home... I know it sounds silly.

By the way, what's the difference between astronautical and aeronautic engineer?

Astronautics focuses on space applications (like my curriculum did) and aeronautics focuses on aircraft applications.

http://www.aero.umd.edu/undergrad-programs/courses/index.html is the curriculum for University of Maryland, which offers both.

2nd junior semester
Space: 404
Air: 403
Both: 432, 324

1st senior semester
Space: 441, 457,483
Air: 414, 455, 481
Both: 423

2nd senior semester
Space: 484
Air: 482
Both: 464

I think that's the basic differences. Up until the 2nd semester Junior year, everyone takes all the classes together. If you've got any questions, just ask.

Oh, thanks for replying enigma.

Another thing I'd like to know is after graduating from AE, what are some job options?

Mostly large companies.

It's possible to work for smaller companies who are developing specific systems which have been subcontracted out. Basically, you'll be able to find work for any company developing satellites, spacecraft or aircraft. Submarines and submarine systems are another field which typically hires aerospace engineers. If you put any focus on materials in your coursework, you can work for people developing smart structures (metals and plastics which change shape significantly under magnetic/electric/etc. fields). That's actually what I'm doing research on right now. You can do work in controls or vibrations, because those are a big part of all aerospace applications. By the time I got my BS, I had a year and a half of dynamics/vibrations courses... that's more than the ME guys need to get.

Aero is a broad field. Much broader than you'd originally think.

Additionally, there is a lot of overlap between ME and AE, so you'd be fully qualified to apply for most entry level ME jobs, particularly if there is any overlap (vehicle aerodynamics, for example).

ah, thanks for clarifying things for me enigma!

Enigma hows the grad program at UMD

So far, kind of rough. I think I'm in the middle of the grad level "weed out" classes.

There's lots of research opportunities, though.

1. What is an aerospace engineer?

An aerospace engineer is a scientist who applies engineering principles and concepts to the design, development, and construction of aircraft, spacecraft, and other related systems.

2. What are the educational requirements to become an aerospace engineer?

Typically, an aerospace engineer will need a Bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering or a related field. Some positions may require a Master's degree or higher.

3. What skills are necessary to be successful as an aerospace engineer?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, and excellent math and physics abilities are essential for an aerospace engineer. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals.

4. What are some common job responsibilities of an aerospace engineer?

Aerospace engineers may be involved in designing, testing, and overseeing the production of aircraft and spacecraft. They may also conduct research and development, analyze and troubleshoot technical issues, and work on improving existing designs and systems.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone interested in becoming an aerospace engineer?

Some common career paths for aerospace engineers include working for aerospace companies, government agencies, or research institutions. They may also pursue roles in related fields such as defense, aviation, or space exploration. With advanced education and experience, aerospace engineers may also move into managerial or leadership positions.