Help me solve this differential equation

In summary, the person is trying to solve a differential equation and is having trouble. They suggest substituting terms in (y/x) to help and then integrate the equation. They end up with a equation in v and x which is separable, and then use the substitution y=vx to get an equation in z. They are then able to solve for y(x).
boris90
Hi all,

this is my first post here. I just registered today. I have a little problem: solving differential equations generally. Our professor at my college sent us some math problems for practice, because we're having a final exam at the end of January. Anyway, the first problem is solving a differential equation and I can't seem to remember how to solve it (step by step). I know the first one should be putting all y's on one side and all x's on the other side of the equation, then we should do the integration and so on.

My problem looks like this: y' = [tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex] + ([tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex])2 (whole fraction y/x is squared)

How do I solve this problem? I keep getting to a point where it is obvious I'm going the wrong way. If anyone can help me, that person would make me happy, because I've been struggling with this all day now, and still haven't found anything similar that could help me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks ;). I would like to see some step by step help, too. Wouldn't hurt ;)

The terms in (y/x) suggest the substitution

y = vx
y' = v + v'x

That gives an equation in v and x which is separable.

using the sustitution z=y^(-1) the equation get the form of
z`+ (1-2)(-1/x)z=(1-2)(1/x^2)
and you can solve

As AlephZero said:

u=y/x them y=ux them
y`= u + xu` them the equation get the form of
u+xu`=g(u) them is
x(du/dx)= g(u) - u
du(g(u)-u)=dx/x
int(du(g(u)-u)=int(dx/x)for your equation would be
u=y/x and y`=u+xu`
them the equation get the form
xu`=u^2
u`/u^2 = 1/x
them
du/u^2 = dx/x
-1/u = lnx + C
u(x) = -1/[lnx + C]
them
y(x)= - x/[lnx +C]

PD: I need to learn to write in latex.

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for different types of differential equations. It is important to first identify the type and order of the equation before choosing a method.

3. Can differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple solutions, especially if it is a non-linear equation. This means that there can be more than one function that satisfies the equation and can describe the phenomenon being modeled. However, some differential equations only have a unique solution.

4. What is the importance of solving differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model many physical and natural processes, making them an essential tool in various scientific fields. Solving differential equations allows us to understand and predict how these processes will behave over time and make informed decisions based on the results.

5. Are there any software programs that can solve differential equations?

Yes, there are many software programs that can solve differential equations, such as Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple. These programs use numerical methods to approximate the solutions of differential equations and can handle complex equations that may be difficult to solve by hand.