P: 412
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
Pepe Le Pew
ThomasT
Dec30-10, 10:49 PM
P: 1,414
... he gives me a weird vibe.
I'm intrigued. What is it, exactly, that you find weird about him. Be specific, and be honest.

The reason I'm asking is that there's good weird and bad weird, and I've known girls whose first substantive statement to me was something like, "You're weird" -- and then we ended up seeing each other for a long time, and, in a couple of cases, actually living together for a year or so. For example, one of the long term loves of my life took me to her house one day not long after we'd met and her mother said to me, "Oh, you really are goofy!"

Of course, I'm assuming that your guy is bad weird, and that his bad weirdness isn't just a matter of social ineptness or social assholiness. So, I'm curious. How bad is this guy? And why is it such a problem that you've posted about it at PF? Is he scary weird?

In any case, if he really is 'bad weird', then just avoid him.

Regarding the racquetball problem, why not take up tennis? Is it that you're in a cold climate? If so, that's too bad. But you still have spring and summer.
Math Is Hard
Jan3-11, 10:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
It's the "bad weird". Specifically: big, loud, aggressive, and stares a lot. Might be setting off the "dangerous frat boy" radar from earlier years. I've had some unpleasant experiences with stalkerish people - both men and women, actually, but mostly men.

I like "good weird". I am a complete dork myself. :)

I wish I could get into tennis, but it just has no appeal for me. The problem wouldn't change, though, I'd just be looking for tennis partners instead of racquetball partners.

I did some really good socializing recently and met some nice people there. I need to get on a more regular schedule where I will see the same people again and again.
turbo
Jan4-11, 12:35 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I did some really good socializing recently and met some nice people there. I need to get on a more regular schedule where I will see the same people again and again.
Good luck with that, hooper.

We all need some friends to relate to, even if they are not going to be "close" ones. I have been rather isolated in the past decade or so due to a medical condition, and it has been very helpful to establish new contacts and follow up on older ones.
ThomasT
Jan4-11, 02:52 AM
P: 1,414
It's the "bad weird". Specifically: big, loud, aggressive, and stares a lot.
Yeah, that can be more than just annoying. One reason, other than that I'm a tennis nut, why I recommended tennis is that it involves a bigger area to move around in and thus avoid confrontational types who exhibit strange staring behavior.

I wish I could get into tennis, but it just has no appeal for me. The problem wouldn't change, though, I'd just be looking for tennis partners instead of racquetball partners.
Tennis is a bit harder to play competitively in the beginning since the mechanics of just getting the ball over the net and into the court consistently does take some time to learn. But it's worth it. It's on TV (there's not much racquetball, if any, on TV afaik) and there are tournaments involving world class players that are fun to attend (and you can, via TV and live events, perhaps learn to emulate the strokes of the really good players). You don't have to belong to a club to play it as most cities have at least one well attended public tennis complex. It's played mostly outdoors. Also, at the outdoor courts, which seem to attract a very nice crowd (fewer weirdos than health clubs and gyms), there's less chance of being 'cornered' by someone such as the guy you're talking about.
DanP
Jan4-11, 03:41 AM
P: 630

Yes! You can protect me, and I will protect you from the cougars.

How ?
HeLiXe
Jan4-11, 05:03 PM
Glad to read that everything is working out Math Is Hard :)
mathwonk
Jan16-11, 04:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,488
How about: "sorry, but i never go out with guys that are big, loud, aggressive, stare a lot, sit next to me and try to make conversation. Its just a rule I have."
DanP
Jan16-11, 04:33 PM
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
.... sit next to me and try to make conversation. Its just a rule I have."
She would die alone :P
Math Is Hard
Jan19-11, 12:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Pepe has moved on and has found himself a new interest this week. I saw him chatting with her, and it was going very well.. until her boyfriend walked around the corner.
Vanadium 50
Jan19-11, 04:21 AM
Mentor
P: 16,385
until her boyfriend walked around the corner.
One night a wild young cowboy came in,
Wild as the West Texas wind.
Dashing and daring,
A drink he was sharing
With wicked Felina,
The girl that I loved.
This...will not end well.
DanP
Jan19-11, 04:27 AM
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
This...will not end well.
Who shoot first ?
Math Is Hard
Jan20-11, 10:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I believe I heard him ask for "three steps toward the door".
turbo
Jan21-11, 12:44 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Pepe may have to find a new gym to "exercise" in.
HeLiXe
Jan21-11, 12:50 AM
Pepe has moved on and has found himself a new interest this week. I saw him chatting with her, and it was going very well.. until her boyfriend walked around the corner.
Jasongreat
Jan21-11, 02:06 AM
P: 75
A skynard fan?

Register to reply