Is Everything Still a Singularity?

In summary: I checked the QP forum and initially put this topic there, but then i discovered that their conversations are a bit over my head. But ill keep trying!In summary, the big bang started off as a singularity and quantum mechanics has shown that it is possible for energy to exist 'outside' of space and 'outside' of time. So based on this, it appears that everything is still a singularity and that the singularity is still there.
PIT2
Hello I am new here. I have been wondering about the true nature of reality for some time, just because I am curious. Heres what i have concluded so far and i would like to know if there are any mistakes in it:

The Big Bang started off as a singularity.

Quantum mechanics has shown that it is possible for energy to exist 'outside' of space and 'outside' of time.

So basicly, all information/energy can exist in a singularity(because it needs no space) without beginning or ending(because it needs no time).

So that could mean that right now, everything is still a singularity, because the energy doesn't need to (or cannot) exist in space and time.

And this means that the singularity is still there and that everything is 1 energy.

Ok that was it, please let me know if this is possible or if i made some mistakes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PIT2 said:
Hello I am new here. I have been wondering about the true nature of reality for some time, just because I am curious. Heres what i have concluded so far and i would like to know if there are any mistakes in it:

The Big Bang started off as a singularity.

This is pretty much correct. Some theories of the BB do away with the singularity, such as Hawking's.

Quantum mechanics has shown that it is possible for energy to exist 'outside' of space and 'outside' of time.

No. Energy doesn't. What does is "amplitude", a sort of complex precursor to probability.

So basicly, all information/energy can exist in a singularity(because it needs no space) without beginning or ending(because it needs no time).

So that could mean that right now, everything is still a singularity, because the energy doesn't need to (or cannot) exist in space and time.

You see that your misunderstanding of what quantum mechanics says undercuts this conclusion.

And this means that the singularity is still there and that everything is 1 energy.

And this big one too. Sorry.

Ok that was it, please let me know if this is possible or if i made some mistakes.

That's an excellent attitude, and I hope you won't give up thinking about the world. Maybe check out the quantum mechanics forum up above and collect a little more information.

selfAdjoint said:
No. Energy doesn't. What does is "amplitude", a sort of complex precursor to probability.

Well then atleast this 'amplitude' could exist in a singularity, right?

And this amplitude would be the thing that controls where and when the energy exists? It determines the most probable outcome and puts it there?

I checked the QP forum and initially put this topic there, but then i discovered that their conversations are a bit over my head. But ill keep trying!

1. What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in space-time where the laws of physics as we know them break down. It is a point of infinite density and temperature, and it is often associated with the Big Bang and the center of a black hole.

2. Is everything in the universe a singularity?

No, not everything in the universe is a singularity. While the Big Bang and black holes are examples of singularities, they are not the only ones. Singularities can also exist in the form of cosmic strings and wormholes, but most of the observable universe is not a singularity.

3. Is the singularity theory still relevant?

Yes, the concept of a singularity is still relevant in modern physics. It is often used to explain the origins of the universe and the behavior of black holes. However, there are ongoing debates and research about the nature of singularities and their role in the universe.

4. Will we ever be able to observe a singularity?

It is currently not possible to directly observe a singularity, as the extreme conditions make it difficult for any known technology to survive. However, scientists are developing new theories and techniques to indirectly study singularities and gain a better understanding of them.

5. Could the singularity theory be proven wrong?

As with any scientific theory, the singularity theory is subject to change and revision as new evidence is discovered. While it has been supported by many observations and experiments, it is always possible that new discoveries could challenge or even disprove the theory.