Register to reply

How to induce current on a static conducting material?

by Jay_zero
Tags: conducting, current, induce, material, static
Share this thread:
Jay_zero
Dec28-10, 11:21 PM
P: 2
Dear Physicists,

I am currently thinking of a way of inducing a current in a conducting material by a magnetic field. I am not good at magnetism and electricity at all, but I think it should look like the picture below. By the way, the material in the middle does not move.

Does anyone think that this setup will help induce a current in the material? if not how should I do it. By the way, is it possible to change the strength of the magnets at all? Please guide me in the correct direction as I am very lost here and don't know where to look. Suggestions are much appreciated on what field to look at. Thank you everyone.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
cragar
Dec29-10, 01:11 AM
P: 2,466
You need a change in magnetic flux to induce current . So you will have to move those magnets some how . What is your purpose for inducing current .
Jay_zero
Dec29-10, 08:41 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by cragar View Post
You need a change in magnetic flux to induce current . So you will have to move those magnets some how . What is your purpose for inducing current .
It is not used to power up anything electrical at all. However, I think it is silly to say that I don't even know if I really need a current in the material at all. Anyway, so I need to move the magnets? like left to right and back again? Do I have to move both magnets or one magnet? However, are there any equations to calculate how much magnetic strength I need for a given distance? And last question, how to create a magnetic field with variable strength?

Thanks again.

cragar
Dec29-10, 09:15 AM
P: 2,466
How to induce current on a static conducting material?

Watch the first 20 minutes of this video and he talks about electromagnetic induction and it might help you and it is a very good video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3eI4SVDyME
Or you can move the conductor through the B field to induce current , Maybe you could have it rotating or something.
And if you have it rotating and you know the angular frequency, And you know the field strength , then you can calculate the magnetic flux as a function of time .
Using Flux=Acos(bt) where a is the cross-sectional area and b is the angular frequency
and the time derivative of this will be voltage .

Register to reply