Register to reply

Show how the Boltzmann entropy is derived from the Gibbs entropy for equilibrium

by zi-lao-lan
Tags: boltzmann, entropy, gibbs, thermodynamics
Share this thread:
zi-lao-lan
Dec30-10, 06:24 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Show how the Boltzmann entropy is derived from the Gibbs entropy for systems in equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations

Gibbs entropy S= - [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\rho[/tex](p,q) (ln [tex]\rho[/tex](p,q)) dpdq
where [tex]\rho[/tex](p,q) is the probability distribution

Boltzmann entropy S= ln[tex]\Omega[/tex]
where [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the number of microstates in a given macrostate.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Well, when the system is in equilibrium (ie when the Boltzmann entropy can be used) all microstates have equal probability. So this means that each microstate has a probability of 1/[tex]\Omega[/tex] and the probability distribution [tex]\rho[/tex] will have a constant value regardless of what p and q are.

2. I tried putting [tex]\rho[/tex]=1/[tex]\Omega[/tex] and subbing it into the Gibb's equation

S= - [tex]\int[/tex] 1/[tex]\Omega[/tex] (ln [tex]\1/[tex]\Omega[/tex]) d[tex]\Omega[/tex]
using d[tex]\Omega[/tex] since we want to add up over all the microstates and there are
[tex]\Omega[/tex] of them. But I can see that this won't give me the Boltzmann entropy.

Any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
nonequilibrium
Dec30-10, 09:26 PM
P: 1,424
Your problem is in setting [tex]dp dq = d\Omega[/tex], because with omega, you mean a fixed number, not a variable! It is clearer in this manner:

[tex]- \int \rho \ln \rho dp dq = - \int \frac{1}{\Omega} \ln \frac{1}{\Omega} dp dq = \left( - \frac{1}{\Omega} \ln \frac{1}{\Omega} \right) \int dp dq = \left( \frac{1}{\Omega} \ln \Omega \right) \Omega = \ln \Omega[/tex]
zi-lao-lan
Dec31-10, 05:55 AM
P: 4
Thanks for the reply :) But I'm still not sure how you get to the last step.

That means the the integral of dpdp = - omega, but I can't see why that is.

Is it something to do with normalising it?

astrozilla
Dec31-10, 06:09 AM
P: 29
Show how the Boltzmann entropy is derived from the Gibbs entropy for equilibrium

ln(1/Ω)= ln1-lnΩ lol
nonequilibrium
Dec31-10, 10:01 AM
P: 1,424
Well, in a discrete system, omega is the number of microstates, but we're working with a continuous system here: then omega is the phase space volume, by which I mean the "volume" in (p,q)-space formed by all the available (p,q)-points. I think it's just defined that way actually.

Register to reply