Could use a little advice here, with a 2nd order ODE

In summary, the solution to the given differential equation can be written as y(x)=c_{1}e^{x}+c_{2}\frac{x^2}{2}e^{x}+(x-1)e^{2x}. This can be obtained by using the particular solution y_{p}(x)=(x-1)e^{2x} and the two linearly independent solutions for the homogeneous equation, y_{h_{1}}(x)=e^{x} and y_{h_{2}}(x)=v(x)e^{x} where v(x) satisfies the equation xv''(x)-v'(x)=0. The Frobenius method is not necessary in this case.
MaximumTaco
xy'' -(2x+1)y' + (x+1)y = (x ex)2

I know a solution - (x-1)e2x

Thus, y= ((x-1)e2x u(x))

Now, i know how to do the whole reduction of order thing, but when i find y' and y'' and substitute, the u(x) term doesn't cancel out so this doesn't work

(x2-x)u'' + (2x2-x+1)u' + x2u = x2

So, how do i approach this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the solution can be written in the form [tex]y(x)=y_{p}(x)+y_{h}(x)[/tex] where [tex]y_{p}(x)[/tex] is the particular solution and [tex]y_{h}(x)[/tex] is the solution to the homogeneous equation

[tex]xy_{h}''(x)-(2x+1)y_{h}'(x)+(x+1)y_{h}(x)=0[/tex].

You already know that [tex]y_{p}(x)=(x-1)e^{2x}[/tex].

For the homogeneous equation, there are two linearly independent solutions, one of them is clearly

[tex]y_{h_{1}}(x)=c_{1}e^{x}[/tex]

and using the reduction of order, the other is

[tex]y_{h_{2}}(x)=c_{2}\frac{x^2}{2}e^{x}[/tex].

So the general solution to the ode is
[tex]y(x)=c_{1}e^{x}+c_{2}\frac{x^2}{2}e^{x}+(x-1)e^{2x}[/tex]

If you need further justification, use frobenius method for the homogenous equation to calculate [tex]y_{h_{1}}(x)[/tex], reduction of order for [tex]y_{h_{2}}(x)[/tex], and variation of parameters for [tex]y_{p}(x)[/tex]. That way the problem is fully justified.

ps. i deleted my first post as it was wrong and confusing.

Last edited:
I understand the first technique, but I'm not familiar with the Frobenius method, i looked it up on Mathworld and it looks really complex

With your other post, i can't quite follow how to get the second linearly independant solution. Thanks.

Ignore the first post... is nonsence, that's why i deleted it.

Given [tex]y_{1}(x)=e^{x}[/tex] using reduction of order to get the second solution

[tex]y_{2}(x)=v(x)e^{x}[/tex]

implies that

[tex]y'_{2}(x)=[v'(x)+v(x)]e^{x}[/tex]

[tex]y''_{2}(x)=[v''(x)+2v'(x)+v(x)]e^{x}[/tex]

substituting in [tex]xy''_{2}(x)-(2x+1)y'_{2}(x)+(x+1)y_{2}(x)=0[/tex]

we get that

[tex]xv''(x)-v'(x)=0[/tex]

do i need to go further?

ps. Frobenius method is used only if you want to *construct* the first solution [tex]y_{1}=c_{1}e^{x}[/tex]. Just so you know that it didnt came from divine inspiration, you don't need to use it though.

Last edited:

1. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ODE stands for a second-order ordinary differential equation. It is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It includes the first and second derivatives of the function and is commonly used to model physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How do I solve a 2nd order ODE?

Solving a 2nd order ODE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done using various techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using a power series solution. It is important to note that not all 2nd order ODEs have analytic solutions, and numerical methods may be required in some cases.

3. What are the applications of 2nd order ODEs?

2nd order ODEs have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics and biology to model population growth and other dynamic systems.

4. Can a 2nd order ODE have more than one solution?

Yes, a 2nd order ODE can have multiple solutions. In fact, the general solution of a 2nd order ODE contains two arbitrary constants, which allows for an infinite number of solutions. The initial conditions or boundary conditions are used to determine the specific solution that describes the system being modeled.

5. What are the differences between a 1st order ODE and a 2nd order ODE?

The main difference between a 1st order ODE and a 2nd order ODE is the number of derivatives present in the equation. A 1st order ODE only contains the first derivative of the function, while a 2nd order ODE includes both the first and second derivatives. This makes 2nd order ODEs more complex and can result in a wider range of solutions compared to 1st order ODEs.