What is the trajectory of a cannonball fired from the equator in space?

In summary, the trajectory of the cannonball fired from the equator in a north direction would appear to be a spiral from the perspective of an observer in space. This is due to the gravitational force being the only real force acting on the body. The presence or absence of a Coriolis force would depend on whether the Earth is considered an inertial or non-inertial frame of reference. Additionally, if the cannonball is not shot at escape velocity, it will follow an elliptical orbit and eventually intersect with the surface of the Earth again. This can be explained by the two-body problem.
FermatPell

Homework Statement

Imagine that you are an observer in space (so you are in an inertial system), when the cannon (located on the equator) fires a cannonball in north direction. What does the trajectory of the cannonball look like from your perspective? Is it a straight line (that would mean that the cannonball is not affected by Earth's rotation) or something like a spiral?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that, since the only real force acting on the body is the gravitational force, the trajectory is like a spiral. I also know that no Coriolis force exists in my inertial frame of reference. Am I right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FermatPell said:
I think that, since the only real force acting on the body is the gravitational force, the trajectory is like a spiral. I also know that no Coriolis force exists in my inertial frame of reference. Am I right?

The question is not so clear for me. This is what I think-
If you consider the Earth to be an inertial frame of reference, then the trajectory of the ball would be a straight line.
If you consider the Earth to be a non-inertial frame of reference (take its rotation in account), then the trajectory of the ball would be similar to a spiral.

In both the above cases, you are in an inertial frame of reference, so there will not be any Coriolis force.

If you don't shoot the cannonball faster than escape velocity, the orbit will be an ellipse. Look up two-body problem. Of course the ellipse will intersect the surface of the Earth again at some point.

What is the Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is an inertial force that acts on objects in motion on a rotating reference frame. It is responsible for the deflection of objects such as air masses and ocean currents on the surface of the Earth.

How does the Coriolis force affect weather patterns?

The Coriolis force plays a crucial role in the formation of weather patterns by deflecting air masses in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. It causes winds to rotate counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

What factors influence the strength of the Coriolis force?

The strength of the Coriolis force is influenced by the speed of the rotating reference frame and the latitude at which the object is located. The faster the rotation and the closer the object is to the poles, the stronger the Coriolis force will be.

Can the Coriolis force impact the trajectory of objects in space?

Yes, the Coriolis force can impact the trajectory of objects in space, such as satellites. This is because the Earth's rotation causes a change in direction for these objects, which must be accounted for in their orbit calculations.

Is the Coriolis force responsible for the direction that water drains in a sink?

No, the Coriolis force is not responsible for the direction that water drains in a sink. The direction of draining is primarily determined by the shape and structure of the sink, and the Coriolis force is too weak to have a noticeable effect on such a small scale.