Coriolis force question

by FermatPell
Tags: coriolis, force
Share this thread:
FermatPell
Jan12-11, 10:35 AM
P: 22
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine that you are an observer in space (so you are in an inertial system), when the cannon (located on the equator) fires a cannonball in north direction. What does the trajectory of the cannonball look like from your perspective? Is it a straight line (that would mean that the cannonball is not affected by Earth's rotation) or something like a spiral?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that, since the only real force acting on the body is the gravitational force, the trajectory is like a spiral. I also know that no Coriolis force exists in my inertial frame of reference. Am I right?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
zorro
Jan12-11, 04:47 PM
P: 1,394
Quote Quote by FermatPell View Post
I think that, since the only real force acting on the body is the gravitational force, the trajectory is like a spiral. I also know that no Coriolis force exists in my inertial frame of reference. Am I right?
The question is not so clear for me. This is what I think-
If you consider the earth to be an inertial frame of reference, then the trajectory of the ball would be a straight line.
If you consider the earth to be a non-inertial frame of reference (take its rotation in account), then the trajectory of the ball would be similar to a spiral.

In both the above cases, you are in an inertial frame of reference, so there will not be any Coriolis force.
willem2
Jan13-11, 01:31 AM
P: 1,396
If you don't shoot the cannonball faster than escape velocity, the orbit will be an ellipse. Look up two-body problem. Of course the ellipse will intersect the surface of the earth again at some point.

Register to reply