Register to reply

Undergrad Math School

by Jp112358
Tags: mathematics, undergrad schools
Share this thread:
Jp112358
Jan12-11, 04:10 PM
P: 3
I'm nearing the end of highschool and am looking for a college/university for my undergraduate studies. I am planning to major in Mathematics with a concentraion in secondary education. I only have two schools on my list to consider/apply, they are EIU and UIC (because good teachers I know have attended these schools), however, I would like to expand the list so that I have a wider selection to choose from. Any suggestions for good undergraduate math education schools?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
dacruick
Jan12-11, 04:14 PM
P: 1,084
anywhere in the world?
Jp112358
Jan12-11, 04:18 PM
P: 3
Yes, the location of the school doesn't matter to me.

kramer733
Jan12-11, 04:37 PM
P: 334
Undergrad Math School

Um i think he really means anywhere in the world that has a math program. Just go to the university close to your house
dacruick
Jan13-11, 09:54 AM
P: 1,084
Quote Quote by kramer733 View Post
Um i think he really means anywhere in the world that has a math program. Just go to the university close to your house
Haha thats not what I meant.

MIT and the University of Waterloo are prestigious schools for math in North America.
Anonymous217
Jan13-11, 12:04 PM
P: 352
Although it doesn't matter as much where you go for undergrad, I guess I'll just list the most prestigious/top math undergrads for you to keep in mind: Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton, MIT, U of Chicago, Caltech, Stanford, UCLA, Yale, etc.

EDIT: Also, note that you should probably go to a different university for graduate school if you intend to do that. This means that if you want to try out both a public + private university for a wider spectrum, try a public university undergrad and private grad. That's my plan anyways.
Vanadium 50
Jan13-11, 12:35 PM
Mentor
P: 16,316
If you want a degree in math *education*, I would not be going to MIT, and probably not any of the high-powered schools listed. I would go to a liberal arts school that has a program in it.
tcbh
Jan13-11, 12:52 PM
P: 37
Both UCLA and Berkeley have math teaching programs housed in the math department.

Register to reply