Connection field lines/potential/vector field

by Funzies
Tags: connection, field
Share this thread:
Funzies
Jan14-11, 03:31 AM
P: 20
Hey guys,
I'm following a course on vector calculus and I'm having some trouble connecting things. Suppose we have a three-dimensionale vectorfield F(x,y,z)=(F1,F2,F3) and suppose we have a potential phi for this. So: F=grad(phi).
The field lines of a vector field are defined as d(r)/dt = lamba(t)F(r(t)). In words: the derivative of the field line (which is parametrized bij r) is parallel to F(r(t)).

Now for my question. Suppose we have equipotential lines, so phi=c with c a constant. What's the connection between these equipotential lines, the field lines and the vector field in terms of being parallel or right-angled?

I think the answer should be that the field lines are right-angled with the equipotential lines, but I don't know how to deduce this.

Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
HallsofIvy
Jan14-11, 10:10 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,323
Let f(x,y,z) be the value of the potential field at each point (x,y,z). Then the vector [itex]grad f= \nabla f[/itex] points in the direction of the "field lines", the lines of fastest increase of the function f. Further, the rate of increase of f in the direction of unit vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is given by [itex]\nabla f\cdot \vec{v}[/itex]. That is, the direction in which the derivative is 0, the "equipotential lines" (strictly speaking, in three dimensions, they would be equipotential surfaces) is exactly the direction in which that dot product is 0, the direction in which the vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\nabla f[/itex] and so perpendicular to the field lines.

Register to reply