View Poll Results: How many gods do you NOT believe in?
2870 21 60.00%
2869 3 8.57%
2867 3 8.57%
0 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

How atheistic are you? How many gods do you NOT believe in?

by FlexGunship
Tags: atheistic, gods
Share this thread:
Lacy33
Jan18-11, 07:37 PM
P: 335
Thank you for not having made me a man! Thank you for not having made me a slave!
Signed,
Freedom!!~
nismaratwork
Jan19-11, 06:50 AM
P: 2,284
Quote Quote by Lacy33 View Post
Thank you for not having made me a man! Thank you for not having made me a slave!
Signed,
Freedom!!~
Oh, come on now, really?! OK, we're not always the brightest or cleanest creatures, but thank god?!

*talks to groin* "It's OK lads, she didn't mean a word of it, stop crying!!!!"

Oh, I am going to the bad place, whatever and wherever that is...

note: Not having made me a slave? Is that a traditional ending to prayer or are you intimating about just which organs are in charge of guys? In case you're wondering the organ is:....

... The Phneebenhompherfrackabrack! It's a little-known organ first isolated by Mary Poppins and the Marx Brothers.
Lacy33
Jan19-11, 01:13 PM
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
Oh, come on now, really?! OK, we're not always the brightest or cleanest creatures, but thank god?!

Oh, I am going to the bad place, whatever and wherever that is...

note: Not having made me a slave? Is that a traditional ending to prayer or are you intimating about just which organs are in charge of guys? In case you're wondering the organ is:....

... The Phneebenhompherfrackabrack! It's a little-known organ first isolated by Mary Poppins and the Marx Brothers.

The answer is Both. Thank you for asking.

Well indeed very small but well known .... to some.

To the OP, I think you might consider adding "how many do you not believe in but fear going to some place, whatever and where ever that may NOT be...

Why ever would Mary Poppins feel a need to isolate Phnee ben hompher frackabrack? Was he not behaving?

Oh Dear!

How many little lads do you have staying with you? Poor Dear.
FlexGunship
Jan19-11, 01:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 739
To the OP, I think you might consider adding "how many do you not believe in but fear going to some place, whatever and where ever that may NOT be...
Ah, the converse of Pascal's wager? Or is it inverse? You've asked that question in a profoundly confusing way.
nismaratwork
Jan19-11, 01:31 PM
The answer is Both. Thank you for asking.

Well indeed very small but well known .... to some.

Why ever would Mary Poppins feel a need to isolate Phnee ben hompher frackabrack? Was he not behaving?

Oh Dear!

How many little lads do you have staying with you? Poor Dear.
Hmmm, if you mean do we fear going to, "the bad place"... probably not... if you mean a fear of possible extinction, I think the universal answer would be yes.

Oh, and Phnee would have to be one unlucky guy to be the son of Hompher! Kids can be cruel, but I think that's a name-set that would really haunt a kid.

Flex: It's a decent wager, but it's not called a wager for nothing. Personally, I decline, but I know some atheists so superstitious that it may as well be religious sans organization.
DevilsAvocado
Jan19-11, 04:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,662
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
"hey, I just invented this god--"
Not so fast my dear lad. All new inventions must be approved by the Supernatural Patent Office. My client has since the beginning of time been in office as the head clerk.

In case your invention is not sufficiently incompatible with the other 2870, and thus capable of creating a great deal of pandemonium, it will not be accepted. End of story.

If you do not get the point – we have all the papers ready for a comprehensive lawsuit, thank god.

Lacy33
Jan19-11, 05:09 PM
So many Lads, so little time.
Insanity
Jan19-11, 05:30 PM
P: 60
What about the Great Green Arkleseizure? or Almighty Bob?
drankin
Jan19-11, 05:32 PM
P: 175

So if I only believe in one God, then I don't believe in zero gods, right? This is a similar type of poll used in politics. Confusing enough to get the desired result by the pollster.
Evo
Jan19-11, 05:41 PM
Mentor
P: 26,545
Quote Quote by drankin View Post

So if I only believe in one God, then I don't believe in zero gods, right? This is a similar type of poll used in politics. Confusing enough to get the desired result by the pollster.
If there are 2,870 gods and you only believe in one then you don't believe in 2,869. That would be your choice.
drankin
Jan19-11, 06:26 PM
P: 175
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
If there are 2,870 gods and you only believe in one then you don't believe in 2,869. That would be your choice.
But not 0 could mean 1 as well. And who counts these things anyway?? Poor guy.
DevilsAvocado
Jan19-11, 06:33 PM
PF Gold
So many Lads, so little time.
Yup. The only reason for time is so that every lad doesn't happen ... at once ...

Chicken soup? Yes please!
Evo
Jan19-11, 06:43 PM
Mentor
P: 26,545
But not 0 could mean 1 as well. And who counts these things anyway?? Poor guy.
No he explains it in the OP. Choosing zero means that means that you believe in all gods because the number of gods that you "don't believe" in are zero. In other words, out of 2,870, you choose to disbelieve none, which means you believe in all.
DevilsAvocado
Jan19-11, 06:48 PM
PF Gold
But not 0 could mean 1 as well. And who counts these things anyway??
I think the Indian scholar Pingala counts all the 0 and 1, but itís a mess, because 10 means youíre something between a monotheist and polytheist...
nismaratwork
Jan19-11, 06:55 PM
Quote Quote by DevilsAvocado View Post
I think the Indian scholar Pingala counts all the 0 and 1, but itís a mess, because 10 means youíre something between a monotheist and polytheist...
A monolatrist?
Norman
Jan19-11, 09:41 PM
P: 922
So how exactly would an agnostic fit into your scheme?
FlexGunship
Jan19-11, 10:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 739
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
Flex: It's a decent wager, but it's not called a wager for nothing. Personally, I decline, but I know some atheists so superstitious that it may as well be religious sans organization.
It's really not a decent wager. It's an intellectual-coward's wager. Pascal's wager is a thinly veiled threat not different from the threat Catholic priests would hurl at my every Sunday until I was 18.

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
No he explains it in the OP.
I thought I actually did pretty well with the explanation. Sheesh. Sorry, everyone.

Quote Quote by Norman View Post
So how exactly would an agnostic fit into your scheme?
Uh, I guess I don't know. Agnostic seems a little silly at this point, doesn't it? I mean, what data are you realistically waiting for? A few more miracles?

Sorry... that sounded rude. I didn't mean it like that... bad night, everyone.
Ivan Seeking
Jan20-11, 01:24 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
not different from the threat Catholic priests would hurl at my every Sunday until I was 18.
So it isn't just me! I can understand their position.

It's really not a decent wager. It's an intellectual-coward's wager. Pascal's wager is a thinly veiled threat
A threat, but not veiled.

Register to reply