Register to reply

Difference between an electric cell and a battery?

by amrisha16
Tags: battery, cell, difference, electric
Share this thread:
amrisha16
Jan25-11, 02:21 PM
P: 8
what is difference between an electric cell and a battery?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
Studiot
Jan25-11, 02:41 PM
P: 5,462
Good question.

The cell is the basic single electrochemical unit which converts chemical energy to electrical energy.

Some cells are not meant to supply current, and are just used as a voltage reference eg the Weston Standard Cell.

Some cells are naturally formed under water droplets and lead to corrosion (rusting). These are called corrosion cells.

A single cell has an anode and a cathode, each with its own chemical reaction. Each reaction is known as a half cell. So a single cell is a combination of a pair of half cells. In the laboratory we may connect the half cells by means of a salt bridge, to study or use the effects, but keep the half cells separate.

Batteries are meant to supply current (power) to drive some apparatus. They may be only a single cell or they may be made up of several cells in series so a 9volt battery contains 6 x 1.5 volt cells.

Hope this helps
sophiecentaur
Jan26-11, 04:37 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,130
Actually, I'd slightly disagree with that. afaik, a (voltaic) cell is a single pair of electrodes - whether low power or a D type, supplying more than an Amp.
The term 'Battery' refers to a stack of Cells (in the same way that a 'Battery' of guns consists of a number of them ("two or more pieces of artillery in the field", in one dictionary).
The word 'battery' derives from 'bashing' or hitting (assault and battery). A number of guns will achieve this very nicely and I think the term then applied in that way (more effective way of bashing the enemy). Thence, a stack, or battery, of cells would provide more oomph than a single voltaic cell.
When I started teaching Science, about 20 years ago, everyone was really up themselves about making the distinction between the terms. Students who used the term 'battery' for an AA cell were treated as complete morons. It's cooled down a bit now and who would dream of asking for a 'box of AAA cells' in a shop, any more than asking for 50N of potatoes?

Myself, I couldn't giveadamn; I'm just responding to the question in a pseudo intellectual sort of way.

Interestingly enough, we always talk of Photovoltaic / solar Cells not batteries - even when we use loads of them in series. Language marches on. . . . .

gnurf
Jan26-11, 06:47 AM
P: 330
Difference between an electric cell and a battery?

Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
Interestingly enough, we always talk of Photovoltaic / solar Cells not batteries - even when we use loads of them in series.
I think 'loads of them in series' would collectively be referred to as a solar panel, where multiple panels could further be assembled into a solar array. But with 20 years as a science teacher, you already knew this, so I'm not sure why I even bother writing this. Have a nice day :)
sophiecentaur
Jan26-11, 06:57 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Likewise.
sophiecentaur
Jan26-11, 06:57 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
(I mean the nice day bit - not the "why you bothered" bit)
Studiot
Jan26-11, 11:51 AM
My science dictionary has

Battery:
General term for a number of objects cooperating together, eg a number of accumulator cells, dry cells, capacitors, radars, boilers, guns etc.

So I suppose this implies there has to be more than one object.

Whilst I have always realised the multiple aspect I has clearly been acting like a pleb all these years thinking multiple includes one.

Thank you for the insight SC.
sophiecentaur
Jan26-11, 12:23 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
I must say, I enjoyed the 'bashing' root of the word!
p.s. what about Battery Hens?????
Cluck cluck.
Studiot
Jan26-11, 12:30 PM
p.s. what about Battery Hens?????
You've been watching too much Nick Park.

Register to reply