A confusion from David tong's notes on QFT

by kof9595995
Tags: confusion, david, notes, tong
Share this thread:
kof9595995
Jan29-11, 07:21 AM
P: 679
Notes: http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/three.pdf
On page 59, in deriving 3.48, from the first step to the second step, why can we just insert |0><0| like that?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
TriTertButoxy
Jan29-11, 05:49 PM
P: 194
He didn't just insert |0><0|. He's applying Wick's theorem, and his contractions correlations in the |0> state.
kof9595995
Jan30-11, 08:48 AM
P: 679
It's already normal ordered, so I don't think he applied Wick's theorem. And I still don't see why we can insert |0><0|.

torquil
Jan30-11, 01:35 PM
P: 641
A confusion from David tong's notes on QFT

I just took a quick look and I'm not sure about his conventions, but from the conventions I'm used to here is my reasoning:

The expression [tex] : \psi_1^\dagger \psi_1 \psi_2^\dagger \psi_2 : [/tex] is normal ordered. So in any terms in the creation/annihilation-operator expansion of this, all annihilation operators act on the state to the right before any creation operators do.

Since the incoming state on the right contains two particles and no anti-particles, the only contribution from this comes from terms where there are two particle annihilation operators (no anti-particle annihilation operators). This comes only from the [tex] \psi [/tex], not the [tex] \psi^\dagger[/tex].

The only possible result from the particle annihilation operators acting on the right is the vacuum state. Therefore he can factorize as he does, and put in |0><0| in the middle.

Register to reply