Register to reply

BE Mechanical Engineering to Graduate Physics in Plasma

by Pradhan34
Tags: engineering, graduate, mechanical, physics, plasma
Share this thread:
Jan30-11, 10:47 AM
P: 5

I am from India, and i have graduated in mechanical engineering in 2010. Since then i have been working, performing IT systems audit. I like the job but, I think i would be happier(Joy of Understanding - Rattleback???!) in physics. I would like to pursue a graduate degree (MSc) in plasma physics and finally work on fusion. I have taken a look at various universities (US and Europe) and understand that i have a lot of ground to cover before i can understand Plasma Physics.

Now, i have two options

1) Take up a 1 year masters course at university of York(UK) - Plasma Physics (Taught Course) and then apply for an integrated PhD course in the US.

2) Start at the Undergraduate Level and complete a Physics Major and then apply for a masters.

I understand that the 2nd option is the ideal, but then time becomes a factor as well as i am 22 years old.

What do you guys think i should do? Is there any other option? Let me Know

Just to give you context - My college is in the top 30 in the country. I averaged a 75% on my BE. and my research(as part of the course) was in Tensegrity.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems

Register to reply

Related Discussions
What can an engineering physics graduate do? Career Guidance 5
Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Graduate Programs Academic Guidance 6
Mechanical engineering graduate transferring to civil engineering Academic Guidance 1
Suggested Math and Physics Courses for Plasma physics/Fusion Engineering? Academic Guidance 4
Is it posible to graduate in astrophysics after undergrad in mechanical engineering Career Guidance 1