Gauss' Law: Solid Non-conducting Cylinder

In summary, the electric field at a distance of 7 cm from the axis of a cylinder with a non-uniform volume density of ρ = A*r2 is 5.433109096 N/C.
Bryon

Homework Statement

A long, solid, non-conducting cylinder of radius 8 cm has a non-uniform volume density, ρ, that is a function of the radial distance r from the axis of the cylinder. ρ = A*r2 where A is a constant of value 2.9 μC/m5.

What is the magnitude of the electric field 7 cm from the axis of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

Volume of a cylinder: pi*L*R^2
Gauss' Law: ∫ E·dA = E(pi*L*R^2) = Qinside0

The Attempt at a Solution

ρ = A*r2 = (2.9x10^-6)*0.7^3 = 1.421e-8

ρV = (1.421x10^-8)* pi*0.7^2 = 2.18745955e-10

E = (Qinside*pi*r^2)/ε0 = 5.433109096 N/C

That does not look right at all to me, and I am not sure where my set up went wrong. Its obvious to me that I did not need the length of the cylinder so I ommited L (actually assumed a value of 1). Did I get the volume correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Bryon.

First of all, we have Gauss' law:

[tex]\oint_\mathcal{S} \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{S} = \frac{Q_\text{int}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]​

The point where they ask you to get the E field is inside the cylinder, so to get this E field, you would need to set up a gaussian cylinder of radius 7 cm (I'd work symbolically until the very end) and use Gauss' law. The evaluation of the LHS is very easy, it is merely the E times the curved outer surface area of the gaussian cylinder (the sides don't add to the flux integral because there, E is perpendicular to the surface). Assuming that the cylinder is of radius [tex]r[/tex] and length [tex]L[/tex], this turns out to be [tex]E 2 \pi r L[/tex].

The RHS is slightly trickier, as this involves the total charge contained in the gaussian cylinder. That is:

[tex]Q_\text{int} = \int_V \rho dv[/tex]​

To work out the differential element of volume, we remember that the volume of a cylinder is [tex]v = \pi r^2 L[/tex], and differentiating with respect to [tex]r[/tex], we have [tex]dv = 2 \pi r L dr[/tex]. We also have the charge density [tex]\rho[/tex] as a function of [tex]r[/tex]. Plugging it into the charge equation,

[tex]Q_\text{int} = \int_V \rho dv = \int_0^r A r'^2 2 \pi r' L dr' = \frac{A \pi L r^4}{2}[/tex]​

where I added [tex]'[/tex] to the integrand to not confuse it with the upper limit. All you need to do now is set both sides of Gauss' law equal to each other, solve for the E field, and not forgetting to do unit conversion, evaluate it at r = 7 cm.

Notice how when you set them equal, the [tex]L[/tex]'s cancel out, as expected - this is a better method than to assume it's value to be 1. 1 What? cm? m?

Good luck.

Ah I see. I was not sure how to get rid of L. Which I just assumed to be 1m.

Ah now that I read your post I makes a lot more sense! Thanks!

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few errors in your calculations. Here is a corrected solution:

First, you are correct that the length of the cylinder is not needed for this problem, so you can omit it from your calculations.

Next, to find the volume of the cylinder, you need to use the correct formula, which is V = πr^2h. Since the cylinder is solid, h = 2r (the height of the cylinder is equal to twice the radius). So the volume should be V = πr^2(2r) = 2πr^3.

Now, to find the charge inside the cylinder, you need to multiply the volume by the charge density: Qinside = ρV = (2.9x10^-6)(2πr^3) = 5.8x10^-6πr^3.

Finally, you can use Gauss' Law to find the electric field at a distance r from the axis of the cylinder: E = Qinside/(ε0πr^2) = (5.8x10^-6πr^3)/(ε0πr^2) = (5.8x10^-6)/(ε0r).

Plugging in r = 7 cm and the value of ε0 (8.85x10^-12), we get E = 5.24 N/C, which is the correct magnitude of the electric field at a distance of 7 cm from the axis of the cylinder.

What is Gauss' Law and how does it apply to solid non-conducting cylinders?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It applies to solid non-conducting cylinders by calculating the electric field at a point outside the cylinder using the charge enclosed within the cylinder.

What is the formula for Gauss' Law for solid non-conducting cylinders?

The formula for Gauss' Law for solid non-conducting cylinders is E = q/2πε0lr, where E is the electric field, q is the charge enclosed, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, l is the length of the cylinder, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

How do you determine the charge enclosed in a solid non-conducting cylinder?

To determine the charge enclosed in a solid non-conducting cylinder, you simply add up all the charges located inside the cylinder. This can be done by using the formula q = ρV, where ρ is the charge density and V is the volume of the cylinder.

Can Gauss' Law be used for solid conducting cylinders?

No, Gauss' Law cannot be used for solid conducting cylinders because the charge enclosed in a conducting cylinder is always zero. This is due to the fact that the charges in a conducting cylinder are free to move and will redistribute themselves on the surface of the cylinder, resulting in a net charge of zero inside the cylinder.

How is Gauss' Law used in practical applications involving solid non-conducting cylinders?

Gauss' Law is used in practical applications involving solid non-conducting cylinders to calculate the electric field at a point outside the cylinder, which can be used to determine the behavior of charged particles near the cylinder or to design electrical devices such as capacitors and electric motors.