Flux's Law Concept Question

by 123yt
Tags: concept, flux
123yt
Jan31-11, 07:39 PM
P: 32
I'm currently trying to understand the concepts behind electric fields, flux, and Gauss's Law, so I'd appreciate it if someone could clear some things up for me.

Flux is the amount of field lines that pass through a surface, so if there's a uniform electric field, will the net flux through any object will be 0?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Sensitive detection method may help impede illicit nuclear trafficking
CERN: World-record current in a superconductor
Beam on target: CEBAF accelerator achieves 12 GeV commissioning milestone
m1ke_
Jan31-11, 07:59 PM
P: 21
Quote Quote by 123yt View Post
I'm currently trying to understand the concepts behind electric fields, flux, and Gauss's Law, so I'd appreciate it if someone could clear some things up for me.

Flux is the amount of field lines that pass through a surface, so if there's a uniform electric field, will the net flux through any object will be 0?
Almost! If I'm not mistaken, Gauss's Law tells us that the flux through a Gaussian surface will only equal zero if there is no charge located within the surface. So, so long as your surface does not contain the charge creating the uniform field, then your current assumptions lay correct.
123yt
Jan31-11, 08:33 PM
P: 32
Thanks for the help.

Register to reply