Quick question of buffering action of bicarbonate in acidosis?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary, the buffering of acids takes place in different ways in different fluids and relies on the presence of proteins and phosphates. Changes in pH in the cell can be compensated for by the metabolic pathways. Additionally, the cell can sequester or release H ions by unknown mechanisms.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

Bicarbonate concentration reduces in acidosis. My question is where actually does this buffering take place and why it reduces?Do Hydrogen ions move into cells (like red blood cells), where they are buffered by bicarbonate. I'm talking about this reaction that occurs inside cells

CO2 + H20 <-> H2CO3<-> H+ + HCO3-

If this is the case why does bicarbonate in extracellular fluid decrease. Is it because the reaction I mentioned above occurs, in reverse direction and there is less efflux of bicarbonate from cells. Also does bicarbonate from extracellular fluid move into cells, to carry out this reaction.

or

Are hydrogen ions buffered in extracellular fluid by bicarbonate. Does the same reaction occur in extracellular fluid as well.

Thank you :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
sameeralord said:
Hello everyone,

Bicarbonate concentration reduces in acidosis. My question is where actually does this buffering take place and why it reduces?Do Hydrogen ions move into cells (like red blood cells), where they are buffered by bicarbonate. I'm talking about this reaction that occurs inside cells

CO2 + H20 <-> H2CO3<-> H+ + HCO3-

If this is the case why does bicarbonate in extracellular fluid decrease. Is it because the reaction I mentioned above occurs, in reverse direction and there is less efflux of bicarbonate from cells. Also does bicarbonate from extracellular fluid move into cells, to carry out this reaction.

or

Are hydrogen ions buffered in extracellular fluid by bicarbonate. Does the same reaction occur in extracellular fluid as well.

Thank you :smile:

Draw a little picture of how this reaction happens across RBC membranes. Then think like Le Châtelier did.

bobze said:
Draw a little picture of how this reaction happens across RBC membranes. Then think like Le Châtelier did.

Hello Bobze. I understand how reaction would go to left and buffer but that is not what I'm asking. Is this happening in extracellular fluid or intracellular fluid? I think you read the topic in a hurry.

sameeralord said:
Hello Bobze. I understand how reaction would go to left and buffer but that is not what I'm asking. Is this happening in extracellular fluid or intracellular fluid? I think you read the topic in a hurry.

Both, although the intracellular processes are less well understood.

http://www.anaesthesiamcq.com/AcidBaseBook/ab2_6.php

Proteins and phosphates play a much larger role in buffering in the ICF than in the ECF but bicarbonate buffering also occurs in the ICF.

Secondly, metabolic pathways in the cell can adjust the production of acids to compensate for changes in intracellular pH.

Thirdly, mitochondria and lysosomes can sequester or release H ions by mechanisms that are not fully understood.

Last edited:

Hello,

The buffering action of bicarbonate in acidosis occurs in both the extracellular fluid and within cells. In the extracellular fluid, bicarbonate acts as a buffer by binding to excess hydrogen ions, forming carbonic acid (H2CO3), which then breaks down into water and carbon dioxide. This reaction helps to maintain the pH of the extracellular fluid within a normal range.

Within cells, bicarbonate also plays a role in buffering excess hydrogen ions. As you mentioned, the reaction between carbon dioxide and water occurs in reverse within cells, with bicarbonate acting as a buffer for excess hydrogen ions. This allows for the removal of excess hydrogen ions from the cell, helping to maintain the cell's internal pH.

The decrease in bicarbonate concentration in acidosis can occur due to several reasons. One possibility is that there is an increase in the production of carbon dioxide, which leads to an increase in the formation of carbonic acid and subsequent breakdown into water and carbon dioxide. This results in a decrease in bicarbonate levels. Additionally, if there is a decrease in bicarbonate production or an increase in bicarbonate loss from the body, this can also contribute to a decrease in bicarbonate levels.

In summary, bicarbonate plays a crucial role in buffering excess hydrogen ions in both the extracellular fluid and within cells. This helps to maintain the body's pH balance and prevent acidosis. I hope this helps to answer your question.

1. What is the role of bicarbonate in acidosis?

Bicarbonate is an important component of the body's buffering system, which helps to maintain a stable pH level in the blood. In cases of acidosis, where there is an excess of acid in the blood, bicarbonate acts as a base and neutralizes the acid, helping to bring the pH back to normal levels.

2. How does bicarbonate act as a buffer in acidosis?

Bicarbonate acts as a buffer in acidosis by accepting hydrogen ions (H+) from the excess acid in the blood, forming carbonic acid (H2CO3). This reaction helps to prevent a drastic decrease in pH and maintains a more stable acid-base balance in the body.

3. Is bicarbonate the only buffer for acidosis?

No, bicarbonate is not the only buffer for acidosis. Other components of the buffering system, such as proteins and phosphate, also play a role in maintaining the body's pH balance. However, bicarbonate is the most abundant buffer and is responsible for the primary buffering action in cases of acidosis.

4. What happens if bicarbonate levels are low in the body?

If bicarbonate levels are low, the body's buffering system may not be able to effectively neutralize excess acid, leading to a condition known as metabolic acidosis. This can cause symptoms such as rapid breathing, confusion, and fatigue.

5. How is bicarbonate used as a treatment for acidosis?

In cases of acidosis, bicarbonate may be administered as a treatment to help restore the body's pH balance. This can be done through intravenous infusion or by administering sodium bicarbonate orally. However, the use of bicarbonate as a treatment for acidosis is dependent on the underlying cause and should be carefully monitored by a healthcare professional.