Question Fourier Transform Smoothness/Compactness

by mnb96
Tags: fourier, transform
Share this thread:
mnb96
Feb4-11, 04:07 PM
P: 626
Hello,
my question arises from reading the section on Smoothness/Compactness from Bracewell's "The Fourier Transform and Its Applications" page 162.

I don't quite understand the following reasoning:

[tex]F(\omega) = \ldots = \frac{1}{i\omega}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f'(x)e^{-i\omega x}dx[/tex]

and at this point the author says that when [itex]\omega\to\infty[/itex] then [itex]\omega F(\omega) \to 0[/itex].

But why [itex]\omega F(\omega)[/itex] is supposed to tend to zero, and not just [itex]F(\omega) \to 0[/itex] ?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
mathman
Feb4-11, 04:52 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,106
ωF(ω) -> 0 is a stronger statement than F(ω) -> 0 for ω -> ∞.
mnb96
Feb5-11, 01:25 AM
P: 626
Ok, but I thought that if you multiply F by [itex]\omega[/itex] that quantity does not tend to zero anymore.

In a similar way 1/x -> 0 but x(1/x) clearly tends to 1.

*EDIT:
On the other hand, I was thinking that if F(w) itself didnt tend to zero, its inverse FT, that is f(x), would not exist.

mathman
Feb5-11, 04:40 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,106
Question Fourier Transform Smoothness/Compactness

Quote Quote by mnb96 View Post
Hello,
my question arises from reading the section on Smoothness/Compactness from Bracewell's "The Fourier Transform and Its Applications" page 162.

I don't quite understand the following reasoning:

[tex]F(\omega) = \ldots = \frac{1}{i\omega}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f'(x)e^{-i\omega x}dx[/tex]

and at this point the author says that when [itex]\omega\to\infty[/itex] then [itex]\omega F(\omega) \to 0[/itex].

But why [itex]\omega F(\omega)[/itex] is supposed to tend to zero, and not just [itex]F(\omega) \to 0[/itex] ?

Thanks.
The author is simply saying that [itex]|\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f'(x)e^{-i\omega x}dx| [/itex] tends to 0. This makes sense unless f'(x) is completely pathological.

Register to reply