Point charge and electric flux

by channel1
Tags: charge, electric, flux, point
Share this thread:
channel1
Feb5-11, 07:25 PM
P: 74
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
You measure an electric field E at a distance x from a point charge. What is the electric flux through a sphere whose center is at that distance and whose radius is less than x from the charge?

2. Relevant equations
E*dA = (q_enc)/(e_0)

3. The attempt at a solution
I'm not sure that I'm understanding the question....The sphere does not enclose the point charge since its center is at x and its radius is less than x from the charge, so doesn't that mean q_enc = 0 and the flux is 0? (I have the answer so I know it's not zero, but I don't understand what I'm missing conceptually here....)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
cupid.callin
Feb5-11, 09:59 PM
P: 1,135
net flux is 0
it means the new electric field lines crossing the total surface is 0
look at pic ... all field lines entering exit the Gaussian surface !! so net field through surface is 0
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.png  
Redbelly98
Feb6-11, 07:54 PM
Mentor
P: 12,070
Quote Quote by channel1 View Post
3. The attempt at a solution
I'm not sure that I'm understanding the question....The sphere does not enclose the point charge since its center is at x and its radius is less than x from the charge, so doesn't that mean q_enc = 0 and the flux is 0?
I believe that is correct.
(I have the answer so I know it's not zero, but I don't understand what I'm missing conceptually here....)
That's weird, what is the "correct" answer that you have been given?

Register to reply