Work and electric potential energy of a capacitor

In summary: In the first case, the electric potential energy is maintained because the electric field does work on it. In the second case, the capacitor gains energy because the battery does work to charge it.
awelex

Homework Statement

There's no problem per se, I'm just confused by the definition of work and electric potential energy: work done by the electric field is defined to be the negative of delta_U, the change in electric potential energy. This definition makes sense to me.

However, according to my textbook, it is the other way round for capacitors: the total work to charge a capacitor is defined as Q^2 / (2C), which according to my textbook is the same as the electric potential energy U of the charged capacitor. Where did the minus sign go?

Homework Equations

W(done by electric field) = - delta_U

Q^2 / (2C) = W = U

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really see the conflict. In the first case, the electric field does work on something so the field or whatever is maintaining it loses energy, its ΔU is negative, so you need -ΔU to get a positive value for the work done to a charge.

In the second case, a battery does work to charge a capacitor. The battery loses energy and has a negative ΔUb = -QV, while the capacitor gains energy and has a positive ΔUc = Q²/(2C).

Now I'm wondering if ΔUc = -ΔUb. Yikes; I may lose sleep over this!
The factor of 2 must come into it due to the battery with voltage V pouring charge into a capacitor while its voltage rises from zero to V, average V/2. Half the energy is lost . . . in the wire?

The battery has got stored chemical energy and this decreases when the buttery supplies charges to the capacitor. Some chemical reactions occur inside the battery, metal ions go into the electrolyte from one of the electrodes and hydrogen evolves on the other one. This process sooner or later makes the battery flat. During the process, also some heat evolves. So the energy loss comes partly because of the change of chemical energy in the battery and also because of the evolved heat.

ehild

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, an electric field is created, causing one plate to accumulate positive charge and the other to accumulate negative charge. This results in a potential difference between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store electrical energy.

2. How does a capacitor store electric potential energy?

A capacitor stores electric potential energy by creating an electric field between its plates. The electric field stores energy in the form of potential energy, as it requires work to move charges from one plate to the other. The amount of energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the capacitance (C) of the capacitor and the square of the voltage (V) applied to it, given by the formula E = 1/2*C*V^2.

3. What is the relationship between work and electric potential energy of a capacitor?

The work done to charge a capacitor is equal to the change in electric potential energy of the capacitor. This means that the work required to charge a capacitor is directly proportional to the change in voltage and capacitance. The formula for work (W) done to charge a capacitor is given by W = 1/2*C*(Vf^2 - Vi^2), where Vf is the final voltage and Vi is the initial voltage.

4. How is the electric potential energy of a capacitor related to its capacitance and voltage?

The electric potential energy of a capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance and the square of its voltage. This means that for a given voltage, a capacitor with a larger capacitance will store more energy, and for a given capacitance, a capacitor with a higher voltage will store more energy. This relationship is expressed by the formula E = 1/2*C*V^2, where E is the electric potential energy, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

5. How does the energy stored in a capacitor affect its performance in a circuit?

The energy stored in a capacitor affects its performance in a circuit by determining its ability to deliver a charge or current. A capacitor with a higher energy storage capacity (higher capacitance and voltage) can provide a larger amount of charge or current in a shorter amount of time. This makes it useful in applications where a quick surge of energy is needed, such as in camera flashes or power supplies.