Improper integrals and trig substitution

In summary, the student is trying to solve a physics problem involving the calculus tangent function, but is having difficulty with the limits of integration.
zje

Homework Statement

It's been a couple of years since I've done real math, so I'm kinda stuck on this one. This is actually part of a physics problem, not a math problem - but I'm stuck on the calculus part. I'm trying to solve this guy:

[itex]
\int \limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x^2}{(x^2+a^2)^2}\textrm{d}x
[/itex]

a is a constant

Homework Equations

[itex]\textrm{tan}^2 \theta + 1 = \textrm{sec}^2 \theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I make the substitution

[itex] x = a \textrm{tan} \theta[/itex]

therefore

[itex]
\textrm{d}x = a\textrm{sec}^2\theta\textrm{d}\theta
[/itex]

giving me

[itex]
\int{\frac{a^2 \textrm{tan}^2 \theta a\textrm{sec}^2 \theta \textrm{d} \theta}{(a^2 \textrm{tan}^2 \theta + a^2)^2}}
[/itex]

and eventually I get it to boil down to (using the aforementioned tangent identity and canceling terms)
[itex] \frac{1}{a} \int \textrm{tan}^2 \theta \textrm{d} \theta [/itex]
I thought I was supposed to change the limits to
[itex] \pm\frac{\pi}{2} [/itex]
, but when I solve the above simplified integral I get
[itex] \textrm{tan}\theta - \theta[/itex]
which is not convergent

My problem is taking the limit for the tangent at [itex]\pm\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
I'm probably screwing up with the limits of integration. What exactly am I supposed to do with a trig substitution and the limits when dealing with an improper integral? I was following an old calculus book of mine, but this doesn't seem exactly right...

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized that it shouldn't end at
[itex]\textrm{tan}^2\theta[/itex]
but
[itex]\frac{1}{a} \int \frac{\textrm{tan}^2\theta}{\textrm{sec}^2\theta}\textrm{d}\theta = \frac{1}{a} \int \textrm{sin}^2 \theta \textrm{d}\theta[/itex]
I'm still unsure of what exactly to do with the limits...

I'm getting

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x^2}{\left(x^{2}+a^{2}\right)^{2}} dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} x \, \frac{2x}{\left(x^{2}+a^{2}\right)^{2}} dx = ... [/tex]

and now you can do part integration.

To solve your resulting integral [itex] \int sin^2\theta \, d\theta [/itex], use the half-angle formula on [itex] sin^2 \theta [/itex]. As for the limits of integration, there are two possibilities. Once you've integrated, you can substitute back into get expressions in x and then use the original limits. Or you can find the new limits for theta by solving
[tex]
\infty = x = a \tan\theta
[/tex]
and
[tex]
-\infty = x = a \tan\theta
[/tex]
for theta. (Hint: To do the second method, think about where cosine is 0, and whether sine is positive or negative at this point.)

Thanks all for your help, I think I got it!

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the limits of integration are infinite, or the integrand has a vertical asymptote within the interval of integration. In such cases, the integral cannot be evaluated using traditional methods and requires a different approach.

2. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, the limit of integration must be taken to infinity or the integrand must be simplified in a way that eliminates the vertical asymptote. Then, the integral can be evaluated using the rules of integration. If the limit of integration is infinite, the integral can also be evaluated using a limit as a substitution.

3. What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used to simplify integrals containing radical expressions or algebraic expressions involving trigonometric functions. This is done by using trigonometric identities and substitutions to transform the integral into a form that can be easily evaluated.

4. When do you use trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a radical expression or an algebraic expression involving trigonometric functions. It can also be used to solve integrals with fractions, or when the limits of integration are not easily evaluated using other methods.

5. What are some common trigonometric substitutions?

Some common trigonometric substitutions include substituting √(a^2 - x^2) with a sinθ, substituting √(x^2 - a^2) with a secθ, and substituting √(x^2 + a^2) with a tanθ. Other substitutions may involve using the double angle formulas or the half angle formulas to simplify the integrand.