Tags: analysis, complex
Share this thread:
tylerc1991
Feb12-11, 03:53 PM
P: 166
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Use the polar form of the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that:

g(z) = ln(r) + i(theta); r > 0 and 0 < (theta) < 2pi

is analytic in the given region and find its derivative.

(b) then show that the composite function G(z) = g(z^2 + 1) is analytic in the quadrant x > 0 and y > 0 and find its derivative.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ive done part (a) and got the correct answer, but I am having some trouble with (b). The main question I have is, how do I write this composite function? I can write:
z^2 + 1 as r^2(cos(2(theta)) + 1) + ir^2(sin(2(theta))) but I dont know if that helps me.
Thank you for your help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
PsychoSnowman
Feb12-11, 08:30 PM
P: 1
I think we should be a little more careful with our labels,

say we have a complex number [tex]z = re^{i\theta}[/tex], then [tex]z^2 = r^2e^{i2\theta}[/tex], but [tex]z^2 + 1 = \zeta[/tex] will be a new complex number we are examining with a different radius [tex]R[/tex] and phase [tex]\phi[/tex], we can begin with a form [tex]\zeta = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)[/tex], but the form of [tex]g(z)[/tex] is in terms of polar quantities, so it would probably be best to go back to a form [tex]\zeta = Re^{i\phi}[/tex] so you may directly insert those expressions for [tex]R[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex] directly into [tex]g(z) \rightarrow g(\zeta ) = g(\R,\phi )[/tex] for [tex]r[/tex] and "[tex]\theta[/tex].

Note that the new parameters [tex]R = R(r)[/tex] and [tex]\phi = \phi (r,\theta )[/tex]. This approach should work I think, where the proof may be furnished by recalling the results for part (a) which proves the analyticity of [tex]z[/tex] itself (i.e. [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] ). I have not thought it through that much, but it sounds ok to me so far.
tylerc1991
Feb12-11, 08:35 PM
P: 166
What I ended up doing was using the result from part (a), in which I found the derivative of g(z) = 1/z. This implies that the derivative of g(z^2 + 1) = 2z/(z^2 +1)

Register to reply