Motion in 2d/Centripetal Acceleration

by HurricaneH
Tags: 2d or centripetal, acceleration, motion
Share this thread:
HurricaneH
Oct11-04, 10:35 PM
P: 10
...sorry for doing this, but having trouble with some problems

1) A particle starts from rest at t=0 at the origin and moves in the xy plane with a constant acceleration of a= (2i + 4j) m/s2. After a time t has elaped, determine (a) the x and y components of velocity. (b) the coordinates of the particle, and (c) the speed of the particle.

I get a) Vx= (2t)m/s and Vy=(4t)m/s, but not the rest...

and...

2) A ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a rope 1.5 M long. When it is 36.9* past the lowest point on its way up, the ball's total acceleration is (-22.5i + 20.2j) m/s2. For that instant, a) determine the magnitude of its centripetal acceleration, and b) determine the magnitude and direction of its velocity.

I know that v^2/R= Ac, but i don't know how to get the velocity:(

Any help will be appreciated
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Pyrrhus
Oct11-04, 10:42 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,277
1) A particle starts from rest at t=0 at the origin and moves in the xy plane with a constant acceleration of a= (2i + 4j) m/s2. After a time t has elaped, determine (a) the x and y components of velocity. (b) the coordinates of the particle, and (c) the speed of the particle.
Use uniform acceleration kinematic equations, or use calculus. Integrate Acceleration, then integrate Velocity.

[tex] \vec{a} = \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v} = \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} [/tex]

2) A ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a rope 1.5 M long. When it is 36.9s past the lowest point on its way up, the ball's total acceleration is (-22.5i + 20.2j) m/s2. For that instant, a) determine the magnitude of its centripetal acceleration, and b) determine the magnitude and direction of its velocity
Remember

[tex] A_{c} = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

Refers to Magnitude.
HurricaneH
Oct11-04, 11:11 PM
but how do i find out the velocity?

HurricaneH
Oct13-04, 01:07 AM
Motion in 2d/Centripetal Acceleration

Well I got it. For 1 b) x=t^2m y=2t^2, for c) a^2 + b^2= c^2, c= velocity.

For 2. The angles of the directionals were 36.9 and 53.1, then cos36.9=20.2/x, solve for x, cos53.1= 22.5/x2, solve for x2, add both xs, and you get 62.8 m/s for the magnitude of its centripetal acceleration. For c, v^2/r= aC, we have the aC and r, so v^2/1.5=62.8, simple algebra, and v=9.7m/s.

Register to reply