How to affect action potential

by nhmllr
Tags: action, affect, potential
nhmllr
Feb15-11, 10:18 PM
P: 183
If there a way to affect the action potential propagation across neurons, for better or worse?
The organism I have in mind is planaria (flat worm) as they are very simple but can be conditioned (like the Pavlovian dog). I don't think that a non-harmful liquid chemical could have much effect, but is there another way, such as having a source of electricity near them? That's a stupid example, but I think you understand what I mean (I hope). Is there a way I could somehow inhibit the sodium potassium pumps, or the channels?

EDIT: I'm just thinking... Would temperature have much of an effect? Proteins work slower under lower temperatures, don't they?
Also, how many watts/volts/amps of an electrical current could they take? Would it matter?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Chickens to chili peppers: Scientists search for the first genetic engineers
The malaria pathogen's cellular skeleton under a super-microscope
Deadly human pathogen Cryptococcus fully sequenced
Kglocc
Feb16-11, 12:47 AM
P: 44
I dont know anything specifically about planaria in regard to the resting potential of their neurons, but I'm guessing it's on the order of milli-Volts.
Voltage clamping is one technique that is exactly the kind of electrical stimulus you're talking about, or what I think you are trying to say. I'm not sure if it would be feasible in vivo, but micro electrodes are used to influence the cell potential, inducing an action potential with depolarization, or inhibition with hyperpolarization, or just observation.
I also found this
http://cshprotocols.cshlp.org/cgi/co...055?print=true
which might or might not be relevant to you
mtc1973
Feb16-11, 09:25 AM
P: 112
use oubain to inhibit the Na K ATPase activity

or a Na channel blocker like lidocaine

what are you trying to achieve?

Ygggdrasil
Feb16-11, 11:01 AM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,342

How to affect action potential

One can use light-sensitive ion channels to activate/inhibit action potentials in neurons. This technology has been used to make "remote-control" worms (http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...e-worm-neurons). It also works in other animals.

Register to reply