Register to reply

I would like to start a discussion involving how sound works.

by ymalmsteen887
Tags: discussion, involving, sound, start
Share this thread:
ymalmsteen887
Feb25-11, 03:38 AM
P: 48
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
You are describing a water wave as a sine wave - transverse wave. Sound is not a transverse wave and so you can't describe it the same way as water is displaced in peaks and troughs.

You can describe sound as it would be represented as a sine wave but can't compare the motion of water molecules to air particles.
Are you going to respond or are we finished here? I'm not impatient I just thought you were wating for me to ask another question cause I was asking for clarification on my last comment.
JaredJames
Feb25-11, 05:40 AM
P: 3,387
Ok here is what I know so far sound is a pressure wave which is molecules vibrating back and forth and the wave is measured by the distance between two compressed or expanded areas.
Correct
Whats the next logical step before I can understand attenuation of different frequencies?
As per pythagoreans response.
ymalmsteen887
Feb25-11, 07:34 AM
P: 48
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
Correct

As per pythagoreans response.
Well I mean can you explain it or are you telling me to read a book on it? I want to keep it simple right now.

Register to reply