Register to reply

Vacuum chamber design

by batman394
Tags: chamber, design, vacuum
Share this thread:
batman394
Feb19-11, 02:08 AM
P: 37
I work with some samples that are dissolved in ethanol. Currently, we plate them, and evaporate overnight in a fume hood, and then bake them using a standard convection lab oven. It takes about 24 hours and really slows me down.

And buying an explosion proof vacuum oven is ridiculously expensive. I've been quoted $40-50,000 for "table top" units.

So, I figure, I'm a mechanical engineer... I could just build me one.

But I've never designed a vacuum chamber. How do I go about it? I know the myth of "just build it thicker" is a bad.

Ideally, what I'd like is a square box, with 4 walls, and a bottom that's 12" x 12" x 12". The top would be a 14" square, with a gasket that could be laid on top of the box, closing it. and I've had 2 ports on the side of the box, one for a vacuum break valve, and another for the vacuum line to hook up to.

My vacuum pump is a 3-4 CFM air operated vacuum pump. It's capable of 25" of Hg vacuum.

I can externally heat the box with an intrinsically safe hot plate, or steam source.

I'd appreciate some help, or a lot of help, with attacking this project.

Thanks everyone.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts

Register to reply