Register to reply

Panama canal: why don't the two sides level out?

by twain
Tags: canal, panama, sides
Share this thread:
JaredJames
Feb20-11, 02:09 PM
P: 3,387
Quote Quote by twain View Post
Well I suggested that one child seems to be fed more food. One ocean receives more salt. Where from? More rivers.
Rivers are fresh water, so how would the ocean get salt from them?

I have read it since the first time you gave it, and copy-pasted it. It does not account for a difference in density. It does not answer why SALT does not diffuse around south america to equalize densities.

You proposed that salt content does not equalize because, word for word, "only if there were no changes (no salt added or removed, weather and currents etc) [would the densities have equalized]. Well consider that salt is added to both sides, weather is similarly varying on both sides, and only currents are perhaps one-sided in their salt-obstructing effect. But currents go in closed paths don't they?
You enjoy closed systems don't you. I've read your other threads and it's a general theme.

Currents aren't "closed paths".

It is the continual processes occurring in both oceans, along with other factors (gravitational variation), that prevent them from equalising.
twain
Feb20-11, 02:17 PM
P: 36
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
Currents aren't "closed paths".

It is the continual processes occurring in both oceans, along with other factors (gravitational variation), that prevent them from equalising.
Good, then that is a strong indicator that salts should distribute themselves worldwide, is it not?
JaredJames
Feb20-11, 02:21 PM
Good, then that is a strong indicator that salts should distribute themselves worldwide, is it not?
They do distribute themselves. But because of the processes going on, it prevents them balancing out.

What the processes are I'm not entirely sure, but the fact they haven't balanced out tells you they are there and a bit of research will explain to you.

What exactly are you trying to get at by saying they haven't distributed themselves and not accepting there is a process(es) preventing it?
twain
Feb20-11, 02:28 PM
What exactly are you trying to get at by saying they haven't distributed themselves and not accepting there is a process(es) preventing it?
That there is a better explanation, that one ocean is fed with more salt. Mystery processes that conspire to produce observed result, or a simple explanation? Remember Occam's razor.
JaredJames
Feb20-11, 02:32 PM
That there is a better explanation, that one ocean is fed with more salt. Mystery processes that conspire to produce observed result, or a simple explanation? Remember Occam's razor.
I've never said they are "mystery processes", only that I don't know what they are.

Scientists have the explanation, you just need to look.

Here is a page on the very subject:

http://eesc.columbia.edu/courses/ees...yatlantic.html

It explains why the Atlantic is so salty.
russ_watters
Feb20-11, 02:38 PM
Mentor
P: 22,237
Rivers are fresh water, so how would the ocean get salt from them?
Rivers contain more salt than the water that leaves the ocean via evaporation so the net effect is an increase in salinity.
twain
Feb20-11, 02:40 PM
You have access to online papers by any chance? I was hoping to get this one also:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.4603v1
JaredJames
Feb20-11, 03:01 PM
EDIT: OK, that page is ok and the references appear to check out.

The rest of the site is a different matter. As such, I'm removing the link and subsequent part of my original post.
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Rivers contain more salt than the water that leaves the ocean via evaporation so the net effect is an increase in salinity.
If you only consider those two processes, certainly.
JaredJames
Feb20-11, 03:08 PM
You have access to online papers by any chance? I was hoping to get this one also:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.4603v1
I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion.

No, I don't have access to papers.

Your posts are all heavily focussed on religious matters (or arguments I should say). Are you trying to prove or disprove them?
twain
Feb20-11, 03:31 PM
Your posts are all heavily focussed on religious matters (or arguments I should say). Are you trying to prove or disprove them?
That is a false accusation and therefore an insult and a provocation. Forum rules do not allow such behaviour.
JaredJames
Feb20-11, 03:35 PM
That is a false accusation and therefore an insult and a provocation. Forum rules do not allow such behaviour.
I wasn't accusing you of anything. I simply asked if you were working towards a final goal regarding religion. It was a simple "is this a religious based question or not?". If you are not a simple "no" would have sufficed.

There is no insult and no provocation.

There is nothing in the rules about me questioning your motives.

I only asked because your threads have flagged up religious debates surrounding those exact issues relating to creationism when I did some legwork (as others in your evolution thread brought up and is mentioned in the paper you linked to above).
D H
Feb20-11, 05:00 PM
Mentor
P: 15,065
http://www.psmsl.org/train_and_info/faqs/#3
JaredJames
Feb20-11, 05:03 PM
Yep, my initial post here funny enough (even quoted the entire section to help the OP).

He just sort of blanked it.

Register to reply