Double delta-function potential

by mattmatt321
Tags: deltafunction, double, potential
mattmatt321
Mar1-11, 07:48 PM
P: 7
Hello, recently I had a problem in QM involving a double delta-function potential. A bunch of qualitative questions were asked, some of which were obvious to me immediately, some of which I made an educated guess on, and others I totally guessed. I'm following Griffiths' textbook in studying QM, and luckily I found another problem analogous to the one I had before. Any guidance/explanation would be appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The potential is V(x) = -α[[tex]\delta[/tex](x + a) + [tex]\delta[/tex](x - a)].

The problem specifies that we are only conserved about bound states, E < 0.

2. Relevant equations

In the end, the even wave function solution yields (ħk/mα) = e-2ka + 1, and the odd wave function solution yields (ħk/mα) = 1 - e-2ka.

3. The attempt at a solution

Based on these solutions, I'm asked a few questions:

1) What is the approximate energies of both the even and odd bound states in the limit 2maα/ħ2 >> 1?
2) Show that as 2maα/ħ2 --> [tex]\infty[/tex], both energies converge to the energy of the bound state of the single delta-function potential.
3) Show that there is only one bound state in the limit 2maα/ħ2 << 1.
4) Show that the wave function behaves like the bound-state wave function of a single delta-function potential for |x| >> a.

Any guidance regarding these questions is appreciated. I might be able to provide more information if anything is unclear.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
vela
Mar2-11, 04:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,533
Quote Quote by mattmatt321 View Post
In the end, the even wave function solution yields (ħk/mα) = e-2ka + 1, and the odd wave function solution yields (ħk/mα) = 1 - e-2ka.
[itex]\hbar[/itex] should be squared in both equations.
3. The attempt at a solution

Based on these solutions, I'm asked a few questions:

1) What is the approximate energies of both the even and odd bound states in the limit 2maα/ħ2 >> 1?
2) Show that as 2maα/ħ2 --> [tex]\infty[/tex], both energies converge to the energy of the bound state of the single delta-function potential.
3) Show that there is only one bound state in the limit 2maα/ħ2 << 1.
4) Show that the wave function behaves like the bound-state wave function of a single delta-function potential for |x| >> a.

Any guidance regarding these questions is appreciated. I might be able to provide more information if anything is unclear.
You can write the relations above as

[tex]\frac{2ka}{2ma\alpha/\hbar^2} = 1\pm e^{-2ka}[/tex]

Let [itex]c=2ma\alpha/\hbar^2[/itex] and [itex]x=2ka[/itex]. Then you get

[tex]\frac{x}{c} = 1 \pm e^{-x}[/tex]

You might find it illuminating to plot both sides of the equation to see where the solutions are and what the effect of varying the parameter c is.

Register to reply