Register to reply

Boundary Layer

by WhiteRaven
Tags: boundary, layer
Share this thread:
WhiteRaven
Oct14-04, 09:00 AM
P: 2
hi, i'm just currently doing some research on swimsuits and how they work. i have found that 1 type of swimsuit makes water "stick" to the suit longer so the water doesn't seperate and cause drag. i notice this is very similar to how golf balls work with the dimples making the air stick longer to the Boundary Layer. my question is, how does a turbulent boundary layer get the water to "stick" longer to the suit? wouldn't it be the other way around, turbulent making the water come off more quickly? also how exactly does water seperating from the boundary layer create drag? btw if there are any great websites to refer me to would be very helpful

thanks
wr
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
WhiteRaven
Oct14-04, 10:27 AM
P: 2
thanks, but the question still remains, why does turbulent flow make water "stick" to the boundary layer?

Clausius2
Oct14-04, 01:20 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,479
Boundary Layer

As far as I know turbulence pressurizes additionally the boundary layer against the wall. Also dynamic viscosity is virtually increased due to the turbulent stresses (turbulent viscosity). One could think of the contrary behaviour, but the external eddies enhances the more grip of the layer.

I have another question: if a turbulent layer has less drag, why do not the wings are shaped like the surface of golf balls?. I mean with those small holes on the surface.

I've tried to give you a <more humanitarian> answer than that posted a little above. I assume you have googled a bit before coming here, so that answering you with links to encyclopedias is....

Register to reply