Register to reply

Information technology or Computer science

by daviddave
Tags: computer science, info tech
Share this thread:
daviddave
Mar2-11, 07:54 AM
P: 1
I am a Computer Science major and as of now, I am starting to feel like this is not want I want to do with my life. I want to be involved in the management aspect of technology. I don't know which degree will take me there. I am currently taking Data Structures and I hate that class. I feel like I can't even grasp the concept and I know it gets harder as I move up to the next class. Since this semester started I've been lost. I've been doing my programs through my TA's guiding me step by step. My grade in this class is decent thus far but I feel like if I continue on with this major, I will not have TA's guiding me step by step anymore. I spoke to my adviser and found that I can major in IT with a concentration in Network Security and Health Informatics and minor in Computer Science . I will still be able to graduated the same amount of time it would have taking me to finish with a BS in Computer Science . What is your opinion on this? This decision is killing me because I don't want to make the wrong choice and regret it. What do you think?

Also personally which is the better degree to have?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
KrisOhn
Mar2-11, 08:54 AM
P: 269
Do what makes you happy; any choice that makes you happier in the long run isn't the wrong choice. In all reality there are probably more jobs in IT than in CS too...
chiro
Mar3-11, 01:58 AM
P: 4,572
Quote Quote by daviddave View Post
I am a Computer Science major and as of now, I am starting to feel like this is not want I want to do with my life. I want to be involved in the management aspect of technology. I don't know which degree will take me there. I am currently taking Data Structures and I hate that class. I feel like I can't even grasp the concept and I know it gets harder as I move up to the next class. Since this semester started I've been lost. I've been doing my programs through my TA's guiding me step by step. My grade in this class is decent thus far but I feel like if I continue on with this major, I will not have TA's guiding me step by step anymore. I spoke to my adviser and found that I can major in IT with a concentration in Network Security and Health Informatics and minor in Computer Science . I will still be able to graduated the same amount of time it would have taking me to finish with a BS in Computer Science . What is your opinion on this? This decision is killing me because I don't want to make the wrong choice and regret it. What do you think?

Also personally which is the better degree to have?
I'm not sure on what you know about specific jobs, but there is a range of people who are more focused on the business side of things rather than the technology.

One thing I should point out is that if you want to manage other coders, you should have had some experience being a coder yourself since you need that domain knowledge to be effective.

Maybe you would like software engineering or some IT course that includes courses on business systems, SQL, and integration of business needs with technology.

If you're interested in say finding patterns in data for business needs, look into the business analyst area.

I know I've said this above, but again I stress if you want to do something like manage coders, or be in charge of technology that involves that kind of understanding, you should have experience as a developer.

If however you want to do something like take the business needs and convert them them to design specs and fancy UML diagrams then it might be different.

twofish-quant
Mar3-11, 02:04 AM
P: 6,863
Information technology or Computer science

Quote Quote by daviddave View Post
I am a Computer Science major and as of now, I am starting to feel like this is not want I want to do with my life. I want to be involved in the management aspect of technology. I don't know which degree will take me there.
The magic google term is MIS "Management Information Systems"

Also google for "project management."

Register to reply