Relationship between distance and gravitational force

In summary, during the theoretical lab, it was found that there is an inverse relationship between the distance and the gravitational force. If the distance between two masses is doubled, the gravitational force would quarter, while if it is tripled, the force would be one-ninth of the original. Conversely, if the distance is halved, the force would be four times the original. The equation F = \frac{GmM}{r^2} represents this relationship. In order to better understand this relationship, the graph of pressure/volume was used, which showed that the greater the radius, the slower the centripetal acceleration. In order to find the slope of the line of
Davidjanas

Homework Statement

If you double the distance between to masses, the gravitational force between them would:____

If you triple the distance between two masses, the gravitational force between them would be _______ the original force

If you Halve the distance between two masses the gravitational force between them would be ________ the original force

Homework Equations

None I guess?

The Attempt at a Solution

During this lab I found the inverse relationship between the distance and the gravitational force.

I think that that means the gravitational force would quarter if you double the distance between two masses. I'm not sure at all though.

PS: How do you straighten a graph that looks like this [PLAIN]http://www.monastyr.info/wp-content/uploads/cc/Inverse_Functions2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Davidjanas said:

Homework Equations

None I guess?
How about: [tex]F = \frac{GmM}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

During this lab I found the inverse relationship between the distance and the gravitational force.
Just out of curiosity, how are you doing this in a lab?

I think that that means the gravitational force would quarter if you double the distance between two masses. I'm not sure at all though.
I think you would be more sure if you look at the equation for gravitational force (above).

PS: How do you straighten a graph that looks like this [PLAIN]http://www.monastyr.info/wp-content/uploads/cc/Inverse_Functions2.jpg[/QUOTE]First of all, what does this have to do with gravity? This is a pressure/volume graph. Second, what do you mean by "straighten" it? Why do you want to straighten it?

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, how are you doing this in a lab?
It's not a lab we're actually doing, it's purely theoretical. We found the the centripetal acceleration of satellites's based on their radii and Periods, using this data we have to graph the results, which show that the greater the Radius the slower the centripetal acceleration.

Using what I've found out from that relationship I have to answer the questions. However I'm not sure I fully understood the relationship.

First of all, what does this have to do with gravity? This is a pressure/volume graph. Second, what do you mean by "straighten" it? Why do you want to straighten it?

I know that the units are not correct, I'm trying to explain the trend. Is that an inverse exponential? I'm not sure.

You may be more familiarized with the term "Linearize", although my teacher says to "straighten" I must do this to find the slope of the line of the data

What is the relationship between distance and gravitational force?

The relationship between distance and gravitational force is described by Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How does distance affect the strength of gravitational force?

As distance between two objects increases, the strength of gravitational force decreases. This is because the inverse square relationship means that as distance doubles, the force decreases by a factor of four.

Why does the distance between objects matter in gravitational force?

The distance between objects matters in gravitational force because it is a fundamental factor in determining the strength of the force. The closer two objects are, the stronger the force of gravity between them will be.

What is the significance of the inverse square relationship in gravitational force?

The inverse square relationship in gravitational force is significant because it explains why objects with larger masses have a stronger gravitational pull on other objects. As distance increases, the effect of the larger mass is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a weaker force.

How does the relationship between distance and gravitational force impact celestial bodies?

The relationship between distance and gravitational force has a significant impact on celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and stars. The force of gravity between these objects keeps them in orbit and determines their movements and interactions with each other.