Relationship between distance and gravitational force

by Davidjanas
Tags: distance, force, gravitational, relationship
Share this thread:
Davidjanas
Mar3-11, 04:07 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If you double the distance between to masses, the gravitational force between them would:____

If you triple the distance between two masses, the gravitational force between them would be _______ the original force

If you Halve the distance between two masses the gravitational force between them would be ________ the original force

2. Relevant equations

None I guess?

3. The attempt at a solution

During this lab I found the inverse relationship between the distance and the gravitational force.

I think that that means the gravitational force would quarter if you double the distance between two masses. I'm not sure at all though.

PS: How do you straighten a graph that looks like this
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Andrew Mason
Mar3-11, 04:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,671
Quote Quote by Davidjanas View Post
2. Relevant equations

None I guess?
How about: [tex]F = \frac{GmM}{r^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

During this lab I found the inverse relationship between the distance and the gravitational force.
Just out of curiosity, how are you doing this in a lab?

I think that that means the gravitational force would quarter if you double the distance between two masses. I'm not sure at all though.
I think you would be more sure if you look at the equation for gravitational force (above).

PS: How do you straighten a graph that looks like this
First of all, what does this have to do with gravity? This is a pressure/volume graph. Second, what do you mean by "straighten" it? Why do you want to straighten it?

AM
Davidjanas
Mar3-11, 07:53 PM
P: 2
Just out of curiosity, how are you doing this in a lab?
It's not a lab we're actually doing, it's purely theoretical. We found the the centripetal acceleration of satellites's based on their radii and Periods, using this data we have to graph the results, which show that the greater the Radius the slower the centripetal acceleration.

Using what I've found out from that relationship I have to answer the questions. However I'm not sure I fully understood the relationship.

First of all, what does this have to do with gravity? This is a pressure/volume graph. Second, what do you mean by "straighten" it? Why do you want to straighten it?
I know that the units are not correct, I'm trying to explain the trend. Is that an inverse exponential? I'm not sure.

You may be more familiarized with the term "Linearize", although my teacher says to "straighten" I must do this to find the slope of the line of the data

Register to reply