Net Electric Field at Point

by V.elizabeth.k
Tags: electric, field, point
Share this thread:
V.elizabeth.k
Mar5-11, 03:12 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Figure 22-21 shows two square arrays of charged particles. The squares with edges of 2d and d are centered at point P and are misaligned. The particles are separated by either d or d/2 along the perimeters of the squares. What is the magnitude of the net electric field at P? What is the direction of the net electric field at P?

Once again, look at pairs of charges (preferably the same distance away - to remove one of the variables). Are they cancelling each other's fields out, or are they strengthening the field at P? This should lead you to a much simplier picture once you remove all the charges that are cancelling each other out.

2. Relevant equations

all i have is E=F/q(sub)0 = (1/4pi(e(sub)0))(q/r^2))

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried cancelling some pairs but i don't even know if i did that right....so i'm basically making things up and I am completely lost. Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
image_eprof05545_c22q_concept_questions_1_2_eat_11840769381310_41020171544796236.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief

Register to reply