Calculating the Horizontal Force for Stationary Blocks on a Cart

• Thread starter TDS1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the question asks for the horizontal force needed to keep the blocks stationary relative to the cart, assuming frictionless surfaces, wheels, and pulley. The solution involves creating and substituting equations to ultimately find F = m(2)*g*[M+m(1)+m(2)] / m(1).
TDS1988

Homework Statement

What horizontal force must be applied to the cart (of mass M) shown in Figure P5.67 so that the blocks remain stationary relative to the cart? Assume all surfaces, wheels, and pulley are frictionless. Notice that the force exerted by the string accelerates m(1).

Figure P5.67:
F_P5.67.jpg

Homework Equations

Sum of forces on m(1):

1) T = m(1)*a

2) m(2)*g - T = m(2)*a

3) a = F / [M + m(1) + m(2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I first created the above equations. I substituted T (from equation 1) into 2), which gave me:

a = [m(2)*g] / [m(1) + m(2)]

I then subbed this into equation 3, which gave me:

F = m(2)*g*[M+m(1)+m(2)] / [m(1) + m(2)]

The book's answer is nearly the same thing, except that it's only m(1) in the denominator:

F = m(2)*g*[M+m(1)+m(2)] / m(1)

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Taylor

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of the acceleration of m2 vertically with respect to the ground is NOT the same as the magnitude of the acceleration of m1 horizontally with respect to the ground.

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the strength or magnitude of an interaction between objects. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This is known as Newton's second law of motion.

How is force measured?

Force is measured using a device called a force meter or spring scale. These devices use either a spring or a balance to measure the amount of force applied to them.

What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravity, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

How does force affect motion?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. This means that force can cause an object to change its motion or direction.