by nismaratwork
Tags: gaddafi, lybya rebels
Share this thread:
cobalt124
Mar20-11, 07:20 AM
PF Gold
P: 147
BBC:

1219: Arab countries will be moving "military assets" to the region in the next few days, Dr Fox adds. He says this is vital to demonstrating that this is an international effort, not the west imposing its will.
cobalt124
Mar20-11, 08:45 AM
PF Gold
It seems that William Hague, U.K. Foreign Secretary doesn't have much to say about all of this, he's possibly being kept out of it to some extent because of the recent farce with the helicopter he sent into Libya.
Astronuc
Mar20-11, 09:22 AM
Admin
P: 21,827
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
David Cameron, British PM, assures us that Libya will not be another Iraq. Libyan leader Khadafy (aka Qaddafi) has expressed concern that Libya will be another Viet Nam. This is a real posibility since, according to American officials, Iraq is not another Viet Nam. Calls to Viet Nam asking for comment have not been returned. Afghanistan has warned that they will not accept being another Libya. However, Libya has assured Kabul that Korea will take precedence for being another Libya. Meanwhile, Canada (another USA) has indicated that they will welcome to their shores, people objecting to any country becoming another Viet Nam. The UN passed another resolution against Israel to the satisfaction of all.
Brilliant!
nismaratwork
Mar20-11, 09:30 AM
P: 2,284
I think that it's safe to say Tripoli will be leveled before the USA commits Vietnam-type troops counts.
cobalt124
Mar20-11, 10:39 AM
PF Gold
BBC:

1450: More from US military chief Adm Mullen, who says planes from Qatar are now moving into position near Libya
Gokul43201
Mar20-11, 06:46 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
David Cameron, British PM, assures us that Libya will not be another Iraq. Libyan leader Khadafy (aka Qaddafi) has expressed concern that Libya will be another Viet Nam. This is a real posibility since, according to American officials, Iraq is not another Viet Nam. Calls to Viet Nam asking for comment have not been returned. Afghanistan has warned that they will not accept being another Libya. However, Libya has assured Kabul that Korea will take precedence for being another Libya. Meanwhile, Canada (another USA) has indicated that they will welcome to their shores, people objecting to any country becoming another Viet Nam. The UN passed another resolution against Israel to the satisfaction of all.
Gee, Jimmy. I thought you were being serious with that post. And then I got to the last sentence.
nismaratwork
Mar20-11, 06:48 PM
Al Aziziyah was hit by 2 cruise missiles, according to Nic Robertson on the scene (CNN), but not independently verified. As that is Tripoli-ish... I'm feeling good about post #130.
cobalt124
Mar20-11, 07:17 PM
PF Gold
0011: An apparent missile strike has caused extensive damage to Col Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli. Journalists who were taken to the Bab al-Aziziya complex said a four-storey administrative building had been flattened. There has been no word of any casualties. The Pentagon has denied that Col Gaddafi is a target.

This is the place to hit.
nismaratwork
Mar21-11, 08:03 AM
Quote Quote by cobalt124 View Post
0011: An apparent missile strike has caused extensive damage to Col Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli. Journalists who were taken to the Bab al-Aziziya complex said a four-storey administrative building had been flattened. There has been no word of any casualties. The Pentagon has denied that Col Gaddafi is a target.

This is the place to hit.
Indeed... that should give the Libyan C&C something to think about, and maybe impetus to kill Ghaddafi et al rather than let the next missile land on THEM.
nismaratwork
Mar21-11, 08:04 AM
Did those Tomahawks fired into Al Aziziyah have a low-yield warhead?... there seems to be more left of the compound and missile body than I would have expected...
Al68
Mar21-11, 09:55 AM
P: 801
Quote Quote by cobalt124 View Post
The Pentagon has denied that Col Gaddafi is a target.
Why not? He's the problem, he should be the primary target.

On another note, why is it that the Colonel is still a Colonel after 30 years? He should have made General by now.
FlexGunship
Mar21-11, 10:25 AM
PF Gold
P: 739
Quote Quote by Al68 View Post

On another note, why is it that the Colonel is still a Colonel after 30 years? He should have made General by now.
You think he deserves a promotion? He has the tactical and strategic mind of a kumquat.

There's no perma-link to this image, so it might go AWOL in a little while. But I wanted to share this. It's a coalition air-strike on Libyan ground vehicles. New York Times reports there were "government vehicles" targeted. I'm not sure that I've heard of this yet. I understood all air operations to be in an effort to preserve the no-fly zone plus reconnaissance.

Prelude to ground war?

Ivan Seeking
Mar21-11, 01:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Interesting fact: The attack on Libya began eight years to the day after the invasion of Iraq began - March 19, 2003.
FlexGunship
Mar21-11, 01:20 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Interesting fact: The attack on Libya began eight years to the day after the invasion of Iraq began - March 19, 2003.
Everyone gets restless after a long winter.
Ivan Seeking
Mar21-11, 01:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
Everyone gets restless after a long winter.
Because Obama has proceeded with the war in Afghanistan, and because I support Obama, my left of left friend calls it MY war. He will NEVER forgive me for Libya. I might has well have dropped the bombs myself!

At least I can default to "George started it!", when he complains about Aghanistan.
FlexGunship
Mar21-11, 01:27 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Because Obama has proceeded with the war in Afghanistan, and because I support Obama, my left of left friend calls it MY war. He will NEVER forgive me for Libya. I might has well have dropped the bombs myself!
I was wondering where to point the finger on this one! I'm actually kind of glad to see that Obama has the "guts" to stand-up in an international forum like this and show a bellicose side.
Ivan Seeking
Mar21-11, 01:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
I was wondering where to point the finger on this one! I'm actually kind of glad to see that Obama has the "guts" to stand-up in an international forum like this and show a bellicose side.
Once I felt that I had begun to understand the man, I never had any doubts he would do what was needed when needed. But he is far more sensitive to the perceptions and concerns of our friends in the Middle East [and the surrounding area] than we have been in the past. This makes him look weak to some, but I think Libya shows that is not the case.

In this case, his caution caused delays. Unfortunate but wise, imo. He wanted to shore up support first.
cobalt124
Mar21-11, 01:33 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Al68 View Post
Taking this view, it seems Resolution 1973 (and resolutions in general) are vaguely worded to gain consensus, and hence have wriggle room to justify targetting Gadaffi.

Register to reply