Dimensional regularization and Fractals - Is it a crackpot idea?

In summary, this website is promoting the idea that dimensional regularization is a sensible way to think about systems that are nearly translation invariant. This is an interesting idea that has not yet been fully explored.
petergreat
I came across a curious site on this topic:
http://e-infinity-energy.blogspot.com/2011/01/t-hooft-veltman-dimensional.html
On one hand, the blog history is filled with non-mainstream ideas. (They invented a new subfield called E-infinity.) On the other hand, the people there seem to be tenured, and know way too much mathematics.
Do you have any opinion? Are they to be taken seriously?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the E-infinity posts are to be enjoyed for their high-flown satirical word-salad, but not taken seriously.

That is just my impression on looking at one post, the first:
http://e-infinity-energy.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

Unless I'm mistaken the blog was inaugurated on April Fool's Day.

The blog seems to me to be making sly fun of some would-be serious mathematicians/physicists by working references to them into a melange of hilarious gibberish.

And it is so cleverly done that I am never quite sure that it is parody. I could be wrong. It could be serious after all! Decide for yourself :wink:

The E-infinity stuff is not a parody, but notoriously crackpot! There exist a whole blog exposing the "founder" of this crack pottery Mohammad El-Naschie and his E-infinity theory (the site contains too much information, so start http://elnaschiewatch.blogspot.com/2010/05/concise-introduction-to-mohamed-el.html" for an introduction).

I have looked at many of these El-Naschie E-infinity papers, and they are all a mixture of word salad (containing lots of advanced math/physics words) and hilarious numerology. His supporters claim he is the greatest physicist since Newton and Einstein, and that E-infinity has solved all the problems in Quantum Gravity, nanotechnology, biology and so on.

So I wouldn't waste my time on these people if I were you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That website and its contents are crackpot in nature.

However, the idea that dimensional regularization is associated with considering many body systems on fractals (instead of integer dimension lattices) is a sensible one.

A good first exposure can be found here: http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v50/i3/p145_1

The story is that if you consider special kinds of fractals that are nearly translation invariant (something dimensional regularization assumes), then the critical properties of the ising model, say, on that fractal seem to reproduce the critical properties calculated in non-integer dimension via dimensional regularization. For more general fractals, the critical properties are found to depend on more than just the dimension. It remains a quite interesting subject.

1. What is dimensional regularization?

Dimensional regularization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to eliminate divergences in the calculations of physical quantities. It involves extending the dimensions of spacetime from the usual four dimensions (three spatial dimensions and one time dimension) to a higher number, typically in the range of 4-6 dimensions. This allows for the successful calculation of quantities that would otherwise be infinite.

2. How does dimensional regularization relate to fractals?

Fractals are geometric objects that exhibit self-similarity at different scales. Dimensional regularization can be thought of as a type of fractal, as it involves extending the dimensions of spacetime to a higher number. However, unlike traditional fractals, which have a fixed dimension, the dimension in dimensional regularization is a variable that can be adjusted to eliminate divergences.

3. Is dimensional regularization a mainstream idea in physics?

Yes, dimensional regularization is a widely accepted and commonly used technique in theoretical physics. It has been successfully applied in various areas of physics, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It has also been experimentally verified through its predictions of physical quantities that match with experimental results.

4. Can dimensional regularization be used to explain the fractal nature of the universe?

No, dimensional regularization is a mathematical tool used for calculations in theoretical physics and does not have any implications for the physical world. The fractal nature of the universe is a topic of ongoing research and is still not fully understood.

5. Is the idea of dimensional regularization and fractals considered a "crackpot" idea?

No, dimensional regularization and fractals are well-established concepts in physics and mathematics. However, as with any scientific idea, there may be some controversial or fringe interpretations or applications of these concepts that may be considered "crackpot" by some individuals. It is important to critically evaluate and verify any claims made using these ideas before accepting them as valid.