Speed of skydiver

by chengbin
Tags: skydiver, speed
chengbin
Mar19-11, 10:35 AM
P: 26
If a person has reached terminal velocity (say 50m/s), and he opens his parachute, and I want to find his speed 2 seconds after he opens his parachute, can I do this?

Solve the equation m dv/dt = mg - kv^2 and substitute k with 1/2 pCdA and substitute the value for p, Cd, and A to find velocity?

If I can, can I do this shortcut to simplify work?

The proper way of doing it would be to solve this differential equation m dv/dt = mg - kv^2 given the condition when t = 0, v = 50. But solving that would be a lot of work, and it is easy to make a mistake somewhere as my calculus skills is rusty. I can find a solution for m dv/dt = mg - kv^2 for when t = 0, v = 0 from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

Substitute my values in, I get a number, let that be x. The velocity of a freefall object with no air resistance after 2 seconds is 9.8(2) = 19.6 m/s. The velocity slowed by drag can be found by 19.6 - x. Then I just do 50 - (19.6 - x) to get my velocity after 2 seconds.

If this doesn't work, is there a differential equation solver that will solve my equation? Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping

Register to reply