Crate Friction on Horizontal Floor

by VinnyCee
Tags: crate, floor, friction, horizontal
VinnyCee
Oct17-04, 06:53 PM
P: 492
I have a problem with an answer that I don't know how to arrive at.

There is a 35 kg crate on a horizontal floor that a person is pushing with a 110 N force. The coefficient of static friction is 0.37. What is the maximum value f of s, max for which the crate will not move?

I thought that the answer is f of s, max = (coefficient of static frction)(35 kg)(9.8 m / s^2) = 127 N. However, the book lists an answer of 130 N. Am I going about his problem correctly?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
BLaH!
Oct17-04, 07:17 PM
P: 38
You're absolutely correct! [tex]f_{s, max} = \mu_s N = \mu_s mg[/tex] Because there are only 2 significant digits in the values for [tex]m, \mu_s[/tex] etc., the answer should be expressed with only 2 significant digits. You got an answer of 127 N which contains 3 significant digits. The book simply rounded up to 130 N to express the answer in 2 significant digits. Wasn't that simple? You were doing everything correctly!
VinnyCee
Oct17-04, 08:37 PM
P: 492
Thank you for the reassurance! I don't think I would have gotten any further in the assignment stressing over that one little answer!

Register to reply